Mixing after a BIG name

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

I guess this questions will be more oriented to pro mixers here, but here's the situation: how do you approach a mix if your predecessor on the band's previous album is a big name? Does that even change a thing at all for you?

It happened to me once before. I have mixed a band's fourth album. Their second album was mixed by Miko Karmila at Finnvox studio (Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Moonspell, etc.) and their third one by Daniel Bergstrand (In Flames, Meshuggah, Soilwork, Strapping Young Lad, etc.) so it was a bit of a challenge although I didn't know about that back then, and the result turned out nice and the band said it was their best sounding album by far.

But in a few weeks I will start mixing a very very cool band who's previous band was mixed by Chris Sheldon (Radiohead, Anthrax, Foo Fighters, Skunk Anansie, Therapy?, Oceansize, Jeff Beck, Gun, etc.) and I'm curious about how others would approach this.

Cheers

had to do that as well (well, actually it's a good thing, isn't it?).
Think of it like this: after all the band decided to go with you, AFTER they listened to some of your work, so it's not that they haven't heard anything you did before...
They've already decided they like your stuff...perhaps even more than their previous mixers jobs (after all they decided to go with you and not him again).
that's a good starting position...just use your experience and you'll be fine

I've dealt with this too, following up the likes of some of my favorite engineers - Mark Trombino, Lou Giordano, Matt Goldman, etc. It's nerve-wracking to say the least.

Chris Sheldon is definitely one of my favorite mixers; Oceansize is probably my favorite band and his work with them is really great.

I'd advise you to just do your thing to the best of your abilities - they're going with you because they trust you, so don't try to chase Sheldon's mixes or anything like that. Do what YOU do best, the best that you can, and you'll be fine. If the band can walk away and say "Brett worked his ass off for us and did a great job" then you'll have succeeded.

It happened to me once before. I have mixed a band's fourth album. Their second album was mixed by Miko Karmila at Finnvox studio (Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Moonspell, etc.) and their third one by Daniel Bergstrand (In Flames, Meshuggah, Soilwork, Strapping Young Lad, etc.) so it was a bit of a challenge although I didn't know about that back then, and the result turned out nice and the band said it was their best sounding album by far.

Ram-Zet?

I would love nothing more than an opportunity such as this. To display your dominance over some other big names without question? I would break my back trying to do the single best mix of my life for that project.

You're a lucky man!

Congrats. If they're coming to you now, you probably deserve it.
I've had the same feelings recently... just started on a record with a band who did their last one with Garth Richardson. Also just completed Silverstein's new record, a band who has 4 records under their belt, worked with guys like Trombino etc.
Indeed, it's a little intimidating, but like others have said, they're choosing you for a reason so just dive into it and you'll forget all about the politics. Just do your thing, try not to compare too much because if they wanted the sound of the last guy, they would have hired him again. I've heard lots of bad stories about some 'big name' guys so try not to let the pressure distract you. In the end, every band is the same no matter how big they are - they just want to be proud of their record. make it happen!

I would love nothing more than an opportunity such as this. To display your dominance over some other big names without question? I would break my back trying to do the single best mix of my life for that project.

You're a lucky man!

Oi, psyche check.:heh:

Nothing changes in my approach, other than to acknowledge what has come before in discussions with the band, and ask if it bares any relevance to the upcoming project, particularly in a sonic continuity sense.

Thanks guys. Yes I was referring to Ram-Zet in my initial post.
I'm not worried or anything, I was just curious if anyone was like, I don't know, studying the previous mixes and discuss it with the band, or stuff like that. Apparently only fitzrangerhoodngarb (what a nickname) does that :)

I know Chris informally... nice dude!

anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much! I don't.
Previously I've worked with bands who've had really awesome sounding LPs & EPs - but they come to me for the experience and the fact that I don't produce to "my style" but create something original for them.

It still kinda freaks me out that bands come back with business, because they could choose someone else. So, the guys must've liked YOUR work.
Therefore you're in a great position - just do what you do and they'll be super stoked with the result.

If you get paranoid about who's come before you on mixing duties, then you're disrespecting yourself a little - the band (or label) want you.
You'll do a great job (as always)..!

(*edit - I always ask the band about what they want to do differently this time. From sonics, to recording gear to brand of coffee.. If I can be part of a journey and we can improve on something from the last record - then I've succeeded. It sounds all ghey-hippy-shit but it's true.)

you can use the new Randy Staub trick you just found in this next coming mix...haha :lol:

i bet none of the other "big names" have done it. But come on man...i 100% percent agree with Dandelium. you ARE a big name already. My friends Album you did was incredible. "The Arkitecht"