Mixing bass amp tracks

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I´ve seen and participated in 14 million threads about mixing bass, but they all concern mixing DIs, and I don´t think I´ve seen advice, pointers and techniques normally used when mixing a normal mic´d bass amp track. Besides mic choices, which I indeed have seen in the forum, I mean like, what do you do with it?

Do you take it like a mic´d guitar track and do only minimal Eqing/comping to make it fit in the mix cause the general tone is already done in the source? Do you still split it to distort/hard comp it on different freq bands? do you always/usually mix in a DI signal along with it? What do you with the DI signal if you have a main amp tone in there as well? What do you normally do? And I like to hear while I read, so clips are always a highly appreciated bonus :kickass:

In the past when i've had the mic's and a decent amp/cab or combo to record, i've normally gone for something like a D112/beta 52 on the sub and anything from an sm57 to an sm7/re27 on one of the speakers...

Even with a good starting tone I find I've always had to EQ the tits off my bass tracks but I also go for a specific sound ... something round & edgy but not actually too full .. I like it do have an almost perfect balance with the guitars in terms of the notes you hear as opposed to "feel" cause my bass lines are pretty involved

Lots of EQ, usually in several steps, compression and then some slight saturation cause I like the amount of grit and edge I get just using my sansamp

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the part about clips ... here's a rough mix of a tune
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/594184/One More Taste.mp3

The times I've miked a bass amp, it was done with particular frequencies in mind, i.e. the RE20 for lows, 57 for mids/highs, etc. I then would filter each track according to what spectrum each mic was intended to capture and EQ, mix, etc. to taste.

Usually I would mic a bass cab, run a DI and a Bass POD and occasionally run the bass signal through a guitar amp and record ALL those. Now I just track a DI and a Sansamp (which isn't really necessary since I could just reamp the DI) or a BassPOD and then decide what I'll do with it all later during mixing.