Mixing headphones?

Im no expert, but im using a pair of ultrasone DJ1 PRO headphones to do my mixes while I save up for some ADAM A7 monitors (only got some pc speakers atm).. they got a amazing sound and a great natural handling of the sound which definitely make them capable of being used for mixing.

Go read some reviews and you can see they only get praise.

Just my 2cents, good luck :).

The Audio Technica ATH-M50's seem to get a very good rep here, I'm considering picking up a pair too. I'm currently using Akg K240 Studios and they're ok. I can't do whole mixes at all with them, they always turn out bad or at least weird when I switch to monitors. I do mix all of my low end with them though, as I don't really trust the bass at all in my small room with it's shitty acoustics.

I hate the idea of mixing on headphones, it makes me feel claustrophobic and lose all perspective. If the budget is tight, give me a decent pair of multimedia speakers (Bose Companion 2's) and ATH-M50's (best headphone value IMO) for reference checking and I'll be MUCH happier than spending it all on a better set of cans!

I'm using BeyerDynamic DT990-PRO and I've mixed this entire project in those cans without any issues really. I'm not saying it's the best mix of all times, but I didn't experience any trouble like "Oh shit the bass is so fucking loud!" when I referenced it on other speakers etc. What I heard was pretty much what I got, even though the DT990-PRO are NOT flat in their curve. I think they do have a slight boost in the bass and in the treble.

For my budget and my "level" in the studio world, a good pair of cans is enough for me. I'll move on to expensive speakers when I feel I can't get good mixes on the cans anymore, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

Sennheiser HD650 here, they are fucking good for the clarity and pristine details, but lack a bit of bass for me so I cross-check with my monitors (I pass from one to the other depending on the goal of the action I make)

+1 to the ATH-M50's. after seeing several recommendations on this board, i picked them up. so worth it! plus, i can use them for hours and they dont wear on my ears.

Sennheiser 580 and Sennheiser 565

The 580's are a little too soft and laid back for me. Good for listening to classical music though.

ive got my sennheiser 595's, and aside from my macbook and ASP8's, they are the best single purchase ive ever made.

The 595's. now that is where its at. As a matter of fact, I am thinking of selling or trading my 580's for a pair since I rarly listen with them anymore. Upfront sound with great detail.

i always end up mixing with a set of koss portapro! response is far from flat, but the bass response in them are really good. but I check the mix on the monitors every now and then..