Top 5 Mixing Headphones on 200-250$ range?

Aug 16, 2011
www.youtube.com
Hey whats up guys!
I finally want to get some decent headphones to mix and record my music. So I am wondering what is your top 5 of headphones on the 200-250$ range. Go :devil:!

Beyerdynamic's headphones are SUPER comfortable, but having owned the DT770 PROs, DT150s and the ATH-M50s at the same time and being able to A/B them, the Audio Technicas are, by far, the best for mixing from a sound stand-point. Not nearly as comfortable as the Beyers though :(

Beyerdynamic's headphones are SUPER comfortable, but having owned the DT770 PROs, DT150s and the ATH-M50s at the same time and being able to A/B them, the Audio Technicas are, by far, the best for mixing from a sound stand-point. Not nearly as comfortable as the Beyers though :(

I've never A/B'd them before as I've never owned the M50, interesting to hear input from someone who has. The BD's are absolutely killer in the comfort department.

I find the ATH-M50s a bit uncomfortable, to be honest, but they sound great - for $150 they are a steal.

I have some Shure SRH 840s that are very nice. They're balanced without being too flat (like the Sennheiser HD280s) but also aren't overly coloured and don't have any bass boost. Definitely a bit more cinematic than some headphones but they have a ton of detail without sacrificing depth. They also sound great for general listening which is a plus for me.

Unfortunately a problem with all headphones I've found is that they are very hard to clean up bottom end with. Whereas high-end studio monitors can handle it no problem, and thus let you tame your mixes a little better, many headphones, even expensive ones, will probably force you to just cut under 50 hz to avoid muddiness.

I've never A/B'd them before as I've never owned the M50, interesting to hear input from someone who has. The BD's are absolutely killer in the comfort department.

Yeah, the DT770s have a lot of bass. Not as much as others I've used, but too much for them to be useful for dialing it in, because it's so hyped, you're likely to end up with too little in your end result. If you mix with them a lot, I'm sure it would become less of a big deal. Those headphones are so comfortable, though.

The DT150s seemed a bit more well balanced to me. They made everything I played through them sound AWESOME... but that's not really what you want from a mixing standpoint. For tracking, they're nice, because the player is able to hear something closer to a "finished" sound out of them, but since they're fairly flattering, it makes mixing on them hard. These are also SUPER comfortable.

The M50s are great. They are truer to the sound source. Honestly, I think you could mix fully on these and the mix would translate fairly well. The bass isn't as much as most headphones, though it's still hyped, but in a way that still allows you to dial it in nicely. They are very detailed and I often find myself listening through these when mixing vocals, cause it's hard to hear reverb in my monitors unless I've got it cranked up pretty high - Which usually means I've got WAY too much. The M50s allow me to hear the subtle trails that I'd never hear on my monitors at a decent level in the mix.

I have some Shure SRH 840s that are very nice. They're balanced without being too flat (like the Sennheiser HD280s) but also aren't overly coloured and don't have any bass boost. Definitely a bit more cinematic than some headphones but they have a ton of detail without sacrificing depth. They also sound great for general listening which is a plus for me.

+1!

FINALLY got to hear a pair of M50's... all I've got to say is that in a week I'm buying a pair. Plus, they have Ermz' approval. That means more than you guys might think.

The M50's sound INCREDIBLE. Sounded very flat to me and the sound stage was fucking HUGE... it's like putting a magnifying glass right INTO the mix... amazing set of 'phones for a CRAZY good price.

Don't let the price fool you. These 'phones will become the standard soon, I'm sure.