The BEST headphones?

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys. I just moved to Philadelphia yesterday in my new apartment. Its not as spacious as I really thought it would be so i think im gonna be selling my MR5's and stands and investing in some really good headphones and a preamp.

Anybody have any suggestions on some really good mixing headphones? I love my ATH-M50's I used to have but I wonder if there is something even better in the $200 range?

Also whats a relatively cheap preamp thats bang for the buck? 1 channel would even be fine, i just need it for vocals.

Thanks dudes!

Welcome to Philly. A piece of advice. Don't go anywhere. Ever. At all. The odds of you being shot or beaten within an inch of your life is pretty high here.

Now with that out of the way, how much are you selling your MR5's for? :D

why would you move TO philadelphia?? haha. Just kidding. What part are you living in?

Living 2 blocks from south street and about 8 from sea port. Real close to steaks on south.

Welcome to Philly. A piece of advice. Don't go anywhere. Ever. At all. The odds of you being shot or beaten within an inch of your life is pretty high here.

Now with that out of the way, how much are you selling your MR5's for? :D

Haha im not too worried about that to be honest. Ive lived in some hood places before, just gotta stay out of everybodys business and know where to go.

as for the MR5's

http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/2567228554.html :wave: PM me and make me an offer. Im up for trades

It says central NJ because they are still in NJ, but i can bring them to philly to sell em. They are in awesome shape and still have the original boxes and everything.

:oops:

Unaware of anything better than the M50s in that price range. In fact, I'm not aware of anything that even comes close. The M50s take a crap on many cans well above their price range.

word! Looks like I will get another pair then

Have to admit I was largely hoping this thread would be talking about peoples' experience with cans better than the M50s. I've been looking for a while now but have yet to find anything 'better'. I wouldn't mind an open-eared set for balancing low-end accurately, but with midrange response that doesn't make me want to slit my throat like the HD650s.

Have you tried eqing the M50s to make them more accurate? That's something I've been meaning to try for awhile now, but haven't gotten around to.

Have to admit I was largely hoping this thread would be talking about peoples' experience with cans better than the M50s. I've been looking for a while now but have yet to find anything 'better'. I wouldn't mind an open-eared set for balancing low-end accurately, but with midrange response that doesn't make me want to slit my throat like the HD650s.

i too am looking for something with great low end for mixing. cant get a sub due to neighboors

Just received a pair of Denon AH-D2000. At a first glance they sound amazing. Even better than the M50, but they're in another price range. I can post a quick review as soon as I get some time to compare them to the M50's

Also whats a relatively cheap preamp thats bang for the buck? 1 channel would even be fine, i just need it for vocals.

I have the line6 POD Studio GX, it's about $100-$120, 1 channel(I only need 1 channel). It's a great preamp for the price imo. The only downside of it is when doing vocals, you need to sing/scream loud because there is preamp noise at about -100 ~ -120dB(at 24/32 bit depth only?) so if your doing quite vox with a low independence mic(SM58 for eg.) and need to put a maximizer on the track, you may get noise(unless you got a volume booster on the mic). However, changing the settings from 24 bit to 16 bit seem to get rid of the noise, wired.

As for the headphones part, I too am looking for new headphones, seeing here that the M50's and Denon AH-D2000 are popular, think I might be getting one or the other.

Living 2 blocks from south street and about 8 from sea port. Real close to steaks on south.

Make sure to hit Brauhaus Schmitz on like 7th & South .. awesome place.

Welcome to Philly. If you accidentally make direct eye contact with the locals while walking down the streets don't smile ... just give a slight head-nod of acknowledgment as you near each other and then promptly but not too quickly resume focus dead ahead. You can practice with my avatar

you'll be fine

got nothing to add besides that so ... sorry for the OT

Wish i had bought the ATH-M50S headphones, i bought the Beyerdynamic 770's and the volume on them doesn't get loud enough, to bloody quiet, and not liking what it's been doing to vocals

Make sure to hit Brauhaus Schmitz on like 7th & South .. awesome place.

Welcome to Philly. If you accidentally make direct eye contact with the locals while walking down the streets don't smile ... just give a slight head-nod of acknowledgment as you near each other and then promptly but not too quickly resume focus dead ahead. You can practice with my avatar

you'll be fine

got nothing to add besides that so ... sorry for the OT

thanks dood! Im 6'5 and 220lbs so i shouldn't get in too much trouble. Ive been to Philly a few times before and I have only had trouble with the bums :lol:

Once Im more situated we should meet up and go get food or something :kickass:

Edit: yes, it can be a date :) haha

Just received a pair of Denon AH-D2000. At a first glance they sound amazing. Even better than the M50, but they're in another price range. I can post a quick review as soon as I get some time to compare them to the M50's

let me know how they are. That price is a bit mean but if they are worth it then more power to ya

I have the line6 POD Studio GX, it's about $100-$120, 1 channel(I only need 1 channel). It's a great preamp for the price imo. The only downside of it is when doing vocals, you need to sing/scream loud because there is preamp noise at about -100 ~ -120dB(at 24/32 bit depth only?) so if your doing quite vox with a low independence mic(SM58 for eg.) and need to put a maximizer on the track, you may get noise(unless you got a volume booster on the mic). However, changing the settings from 24 bit to 16 bit seem to get rid of the noise, wired.

As for a preamp i was looking more along the lines of an external preamp. I have my profire 610 but i REALLY have to crank the gain for my SM7b.

Thanks again doods!