Top 5 Mixing Headphones on 200-250$ range?

M50's are great, though the core mids (~1k) are a bit deceptive, kinda "softened" and slightly hyped IMO, which can mask annoying surrounding mid frequencies (especially in distorted guitars) which then pop out at me again when I go back to my Tannoys - that said, I just have to claim my OG rights and say that I was one of the first on this here forum to get 'em and preach their awesomeness, and I still stand by it :D

M50's are great, though the core mids (~1k) are a bit deceptive, kinda "softened" and slightly hyped IMO, which can mask annoying surrounding mid frequencies (especially in distorted guitars) which then pop out at me again when I go back to my Tannoys - that said, I just have to claim my OG rights and say that I was one of the first on this here forum to get 'em and preach their awesomeness, and I still stand by it :D

Can "softened and hyped" be used together like that? It kinda confuses me.

The core mids are so prominent on the M50s, that they tend to have a very 'gentle' and forgiving sound. It can be hard to balance high-mids correctly on them. Still, I would much rather the gentle sound of the M50s as opposed to the outright painful sound of almost every other 'professional' set of cans I've tried since.

Yeah, I worded it poorly - what I more meant was the hyped core mids soften the rest of the midrange, especially the peakier high-mids, as Ermz said (and agreed on that beating the ol' ice-pick!)

The core mids are so prominent on the M50s, that they tend to have a very 'gentle' and forgiving sound. It can be hard to balance high-mids correctly on them. Still, I would much rather the gentle sound of the M50s as opposed to the outright painful sound of almost every other 'professional' set of cans I've tried since.

Ermin, then you have definitely ruled out even the Denon AH-D2000?

I've recently owned a pair, used.

Maybe because they're alrealdy burned in, but I feel good with them.
A bit too bright, I have to admit, but nothing too harsh and abrasive that could compromise the listening or even hurt.
Bass and sub-bass, also, are amazing, IMHO.

It really does seem strange that you have been found them unusable.

Giuseppe [giubis]

Yeah, I worded it poorly - what I more meant was the hyped core mids soften the rest of the midrange, especially the peakier high-mids, as Ermz said (and agreed on that beating the ol' ice-pick!)

Makes more sense now. I have a pair of M50's, I can hear what you're talking about.

I really like the KRK 8400. I shot them out at GC against some Beyers and the newer Shure headphones a little while back.

Yep, great cans. Especially for filtering out annoying freqs in dist guitars. Not over-hyped in the bass region, and fairly flat. Dunno, I really like them. They come with memory foam pad too, which is killer.

Probably, but if there is, it's likely in the $1,000+ range. I haven't found anything in a lower bracket that's been as well rounded. Most headphones out there are borderline horrific.

What have you tried? Have you tried any Shure headphones yet?

I personally have enjoyed my time with my Beyerdynamic DT770s, and I know others have as well.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331348222&sr=8-1[/ame]

If I were to buy these, they are rated at 250 ohms.. would I need to buy something to power them or would a firewire audio interface power them fine? Say Saffire LE or Profire 610/Saffire Pro 24.

Cheers.

EDIT - I doubt I'll even go for them actually, would never work with an iPod or similar and buying an amp would be a PITA. Would be cool to know though, just for my knowledge bank!

It's funny, in looking for a new pair of phones I've found that it's probably the ultimate "what I bought is the best" product category and so hype is self fulfilling. I headed over to headfi.org and I disagree with them on most things. Any scenario in which the HD-25 is considered "great" is one I'm suspicious of (and yeah, I'm looking at a pair as I type this).
I've got a pair of m50's here and I think they're solid. I think the mid range complaint is fair but overall they are great closed back phones. Better than the Hd-25's, HD-265's, 7506's and v600's I have here. The v600's are (way) more comfortable and my choice for all day dialog editing, but not nearly as good for EQ a dense mix. Still, I think those sony's get a bad rap b/c they are far more balanced than a lot of more expensive phones. Anyway, I'm rambling. Get the m50's or be prepared to buy and return several pairs of other phones.