Mixing help for Pantera style stuff

Laozen

Nov 19, 2009
Finland
I would like to have some tips and advice in mixing of this. The band is doing EP and they wanted it to sound as much as Pantera that possiple. I have tried to make it sound like Vulgar Display of Power+a bit more modern and fatter sound. I havent recorded this, i´m just making mixing and mastering.

I´m using Reaper and it´s plugins+some other plugins. Good tips for EQing, compressing and balance would be nice. My goal is to make it sound as good as possiple and more like a "commercial" recording.

Here is the song:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14258501/mixing help.mp3

I'm not a huge Pantera fan - but from what I remember, you've got it pretty spot on.
Pretty good though!

edit - Listening to Walk, perhaps take even more of the low mids outta the guitars. They're REALLY scooped.

I'm not a huge Pantera fan - but from what I remember, you've got it pretty spot on.
Pretty good though!

edit - Listening to Walk, perhaps take even more of the low mids outta the guitars. They're REALLY scooped.

Thanks! I try that out. And maybe guitars a bit louder too.

Sounds good, the kick has a little bit of boomy tail though, I would make it a bit tighter. Maybe make the snare a little bit louder and fatter, it sounds a little thin to the rest. I wouldn't scoop the guitars more to be honest, but to get closer to the pantera sound maybe you can try (but don't take out too much low mids I think, maybe even add a bit more). Vocals are really nice! Hey, it's all a bit of personal preference too of course.

I'll tweak the kick a bit like RaNk said, it's a bit boomy. Scooping more the guitar sound? It'll sound a bit more like pantera but honestly, that not the best tone ever and his guitars sound actually good enough.

Not the hugest fan of the snare, but it kind of works for the mix I guess. It sounds like it's transient has been completely squashed. I'd maybe like to hear some more snare transient, but that's my only gripe.

I'm not a huge fan of the guitar tone, but it does work for the mix and the style of the song. It sounds kinda nasally in the 700hz-1000khz range and maybe between 2k-4k. I'm guessing you boosted those areas?

I'm not a huge fan of the guitar tone, but it does work for the mix and the style of the song. It sounds kinda nasally in the 700hz-1000khz range and maybe between 2k-4k. I'm guessing you boosted those areas?

You are close. I have boosted 1400hz 2.5db, and cut 500hz 3.5db and my master eq has some boost 2k-4k. I try to cut those 700hz-1000hz and see what it makes.

I must admit that the snare is very limited. Two reacomps and Gclip in top of that. Maybe I did that too much. I just wanted to prevent master comp and limiter from pumping cause of snare transients. I have had that problem in previous works.