Mixing help needed!

SvenAHC

New Metal Member
Apr 20, 2012
hi guys,

i am just another guy trying to get a decent production. i am pretty sure that allot of my questions are covered in other threads, but maybe you guys can give me a push in the right direction.

recently i recorded this song of my band:
http://www.asheavenscollide.com/downloads/SitoStickv3.mp3

-drums are sampled and are compressed quite a bit.
-guitars are recorded with impulses, 4 rhythm tracks, 2 lead tracks. added some hi and low pass filters and some reverb.
- because i dont own a bass i recorded it with guitar and pitched it down and ran it also through impulses
- on the master track i've inserted a TRack brickwall limiter desperately trying to crank the volume/dynamics up.

-the first problem that i wanted to tackle is how to get the mix in a way that all instruments have enough "breathing space". to me all instruments are trying to get on the foreground losing its tightness.

- how do i get the bassguitar glue-ed to the electric guitars ?

- any tips to really get that polished/clear guitar tone ?

thanks in advance !

My tips:

1.) High Pass Filter is your friend
2.) EQ Cuts to make room for other instuments (if the kick is dominant at 68 Hz , then us a high pass filter or eq to cut that area on the bass guitar track for example). No set rules.
3.) Check the upper mids (more you push those in certain areas, the instrument will seem more up front).
4.) Try to put your mix on a virtual stage to gain some depth. (Use EQ,Reverb or impulses if ITB.

5.DO NOT CLIP YOUR PLUGINS (READ the -18db gain staging thread to leave headroom.
6.) Read ERMZ's systematic mixing guide.

AND MOST IMPORTANT: USE THE SNEAP SEARCH

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

It has all been covered before.... (more than once)

That's my 2 cents

What you have sounds like you are going in the right direction tone wise.

My first impression is that the Drums are squished down below the guitars.

Im guessing its not just volume levels of the drums but sounds like guitars are taking up a lot of real estate.

But if you have the drums slamming, and you slowly bring the guitars up to where they are loud enough and the drums sound quiet instead of glued in the mix then things are fighting for frequency space.

I just felt like the weight and attack of the drums was missing.

Make sure the drums arent squashed too much from the compressor and play with the EQ on the guitars by taking away what isnt needed so that the rest of the mix comes out.

If what you hear in your room factors in between monitors and treatment and isnt translating accurately you will just have to keep using trial and error.

The reference to something like the Systematic Mixing guide will at least help ensure that the methods you are using should get you better results.

Also, if you have the ability to mess with the Drum Velocity it would help them sound better and more realistic.

Some programs have the ability to randomize, look into that or manual change them and it will be much more pleasing than hearing something like the identical snare drums sounds 4 hits in a row. If you averaged a 95 Velocity anything 5 to 10 points higher or lower will sound so much better than whats on there now.

I know it depends on your drum replacers. I used to use drumagog with Steven Slate gog files or other wavs etc but have been much happier using Midi tracks through the Slate Drums Kontakt Player where I get the same great samples with all the control over the individual hits through midi notes..

If I dont like the real drum sound I recorded I use Massey DRT for Pro Tools to create a midi track of it and throw on Slate Drums for the sample player.

It was mostly that snare getting to me....

Here is the best tip I received when I very first started:

Tip 1. The frequency analyzer works very well on most instruments, not too well on distorted guitars.

For example:
-Solo the particular instrument you're wanting to process. For this example we will use the kick drum.
-Apply a frequency analyzer on it to view exactly how the sound is formed. Notice that it has a significant boost around the 50Hz area. That's the area you want to localize your boost in EQ.
-Apply the EQ and then bypass it.
-Return to the frequency analyzer and look for where the "clicky" sound of the kick is really hitting.
----Sometimes, it can be hard to find visually. If this is the case. Simply bypass any EQ changes and raise the EQ to just right before the sound clips and sweep the area, finding the most appealing click sound. Then boost as you hear necessary.
-Hi Pass to just before the thump comes in and Low pass with your ear to determine how your click will sound(generally not soloed)
-Cut cut a large chunk of mids out to make room for everything else.
-after all instruments are done, play the mix and make changes as needed, using your ears. Remember to "carve" out a space in the spectrum for each instrument.
-Deductive EQ before compressor and additive EQ(if needed) after.

For a good guitar tone, EQ wise, I apply a low and hi pass filter. Cut out a lot at 500Hz and a little around 4kHz. Seems to be a lot of nasty fizz there.

EDIT: I just re-read the post and saw that you were putting reverb on your guitars, I've never heard of that kind of method in metal.

After your impulses, a nice chain would consist of EQ, saturation, and a limiter to keep things in check, at least.

Thanks For the advice guys. i'm going to apply this tonight!

the little reverb was an attempt to make a more "round guitar sound"

Yeah, make sure to not be afraid of cutting out massive amounts from a source. I typically high pass up to 100Hz on the guitar, and low pass as far down as 7k. I do say that you need to bring the guitars down, the drums up, and make sure that the rhythms aren't bearing over the leads, which they're doing in this track. It may be a deliberate thing you're doing, but I felt like the lead parts needed to be more audible, and if you automate the rhythms so that they fall a couple dB when the leads are playing, not only will the leads have more attention directed to them, but also it will make the rhythms seem heavier when the leads are gone.

http://www.asheavenscollide.com/downloads/SitoStickV4.mp3

okay it is a lot better now. i tried to cut as much useless frequencies and boosted some that needed to come out of the mix more. for my perception the drums are much more present in the mix now. i also automated the rythem/lead parts.
the problem im facing now is how to get the overall volume up. are there any tricks? my limiters/softclippers are pumping max atm!

Sounds better, but the guitars seem to be overpowering the drums.

I like the drums to just be a tad louder than guitars/bass for the attack.

And I can barely hear the OH/cymbals. But, I am only listening on laptop speakers at the moment.

To avoid clipping, try to not record too hot. Plugins tend to work best when the audio is hitting around -6 to -12. So if it's hitting above -6, try lowering the input on your first plugin so that it's at a more reasonable level.

There is a good thread roaming around that goes into good detail.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/776655-can-someone-explain-18-db-mixing.html

EDIT: During the mixing phase, try to keep the overall volume fairly low. Don't worry about the loudness until you start to master.

Your tones all sound ok, but the mix needs more balance. When the lead riff thing comes in over the rhythm guitars, its just too much of the same frequencies battling and the guitars in general are way too loud over top of the drums. Try automating the rhythm guitars down a couple dB when leads come in.

Here is the best tip I received when I very first started:

Tip 1. The frequency analyzer works very well on most instruments, not too well on distorted guitars.

The best tip you received was to use a frequency analyzer to do the EQ?

I'm sorry to disagree.

When EQ you have to LISTEN and think: Is what I'm listening to right? is it not?

If the answer is yes, don't EQ.
If the answer is no, think again: How should it sound like to sound right?

Then act and try to EQ to get the sound *which was previously on your head*

That's the way to EQ.