Mixing in a REALLY small room

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
I have to move and will mix in a really small room for the next couple of weeks/month. My desk barely fits in there. It's like 1,50 x 3m or something. I will have to use it, there is no other way. Do you think this could make my mixes much worse?

Ehh. It won't make them worse, but it won't make them better. It's a bit like being in mix purgatory.

As long as you have access to other systems and/or headphones you'll do fine.

From an acoustics standpoint, a room that small is a complete nightmare. The only way to stop early reflections completely shitting on your face would be to put up so much treatment that you're left with a very dead room.

I don't usually diss small rooms, but unfortunately 1,5x3m is really tiny. If you can't treat it, you're bound to have problems. This might be the first time I suggest this, but consider getting the basic mix down on a good pair of headphones and just check the stereo image on monitors.

I mixed about a year in a very small room as well.
It was like 1,7mx3,5m and it realy had its problems.

one tip after you are used to the room.

Dont check your mixes at loud (louder then normal listening level) level.
The room will come into play the louder you turn the monitors.
Standing waves will make your ears tired extremly fast

best of luck buddy

ps: whats the reason you have to move your mixing room?

I was mixing in a moist room in a shelter without heating. We moved to a really cool place with a pretty big live room (5x4m). There is another room next to it which would be perfect for mixing but I can't afford to rent it right now.... Sucks.

Bad. They're only sucking up the high end, making the room very dull sounding, while leaving all the real acoustical issues in that room completely intact.

carpet all over the walls is a bad move. It's not that getting a really dead room as necessarily a bad thing, it's a matter of personal preference.

BUT

just carpet gives you a dead room at high frequencies while leaving longer reverb times in the mids and lows. This is unbalanced and highly undesirable.

carpet all over the walls is a bad move. It's not that getting a really dead room as necessarily a bad thing, it's a matter of personal preference.

BUT

just carpet gives you a dead room at high frequencies while leaving longer reverb times in the mids and lows. This is unbalanced and highly undesirable.

Also generally it's harder to hear when low and low-mid reverberations are fucking with your perceptions. I tend to be able to hear high-mid and high reverbations a lot easier.

Headphones dude, it's the only real way to combat a small room like that I'd say.

the best thing to do is when you move there,mix 1 song with your headphones,then again the same song with the monitors,and then the same song with a combination of tthe headphones/monitors,then check it out on a better room(or in a studio)or you can upload the results here so we can tell you what fits better in an average of our monitors/headphones
cheers
/Leon