Recording Drums in a Tiny Room

meanmrmustad

Supreme Member
Aug 27, 2009
Oaxaca, Mexico
This is my best drumsound so far, no samples lol.

Recorded in a tiny tiny room barely fit the drum and mics, with really cheap mics
and underheads

So these ar just the raw drums i got with the mics (no prosssing or anything)

And with a little processing

Recorded with beringher mics(my best mics) and superdlux mics ($220 USD for 7 mics) in a small room less than 10x10

And with a little more processing

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad...actually I'd say it sounds quite good considering the room.& mics you're working with. Are there any samples blended in the lasr clip or is it all the actual drums?

I'm gonna give underheads a try this weekend. My room is about 12'x13' with a ceiling about 7'6" high. Hopefully I get my drums to sound that good without using samples :)

Edit....nevermind, just re-read and noticed no samples.

Well the raw drums sound pretty weak but I must say you did a pretty good job turning that into something useable!

processed sounds great! nice OHS but I hear a phase issue in the SNR, trying solo'ing it with the overheads and flipping phase on each to give it the most coherency...

Well the regular clip I barely did anything, High passed the OHS at about 80hz, panned them 80 80, the kick I notched the low mids, same with the toms and boosted a bit of the highs or attack

Snare I copied 3 tracks,
1st one highpass at 80hz, boosted the highs with a narrow q, removed a bit of 300 to 400 i think, 2nd copy I slammed it with my dbx and 3rd track I pitched shifted down a fourth and sent to a reverb.

and sent everything to a reverb.

For the other clip I just exagerated the EQ

Large rooms are over-rated ;)

Ian-Paice-1971-Machine-Head.jpg

EDIT: Aaaaaand the picture's gone. Backup: http://www.deep-purple.am/images/site/machine_head/Ian_paice_on_drums.jpg