mixing kick 10

ads24

Oct 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
hey, i have kick 10 and even the sample raw sounds sweet, but when i try to mix it it doesnt have the anywhere near same impact as in a sturgis song.

any ideas of how to mix it better?

cheers

hey, i have kick 10 and even the sample raw sounds sweet, but when i try to mix it it doesnt have the anywhere near same impact as in a sturgis song.

any ideas of how to mix it better?

cheers

I hope you realize that just because you may have a kick that sturgis uses does not mean once you place it in your project its going to sound exactly the same. Secondly, posting an example would help.

If you want more beater noise, boost 800-1.2k
More thump, do better low end cuts on the other parts of your mix.

I always do a sharp cut around 120, and a more wide cut around the 200 region.
More slappy, shelf 2k+

If you want a more firm sounding kick, compress it more. Think scarlett o'hara kick 10.
More chewy kick, compress less.

Cut 200 for the snare to sit their uberlicious fatness there. Send it to bus, add MaxxBass, mix to taste.

First post btw :kickass:

Hey guys new to the forum!, I personally wouldn't put any maxxbass on any of slates stuff as its all "pre mixed" but thats my view on it :loco:

Honestly, I use some harmonic excitement (ala maxxbass) on slate kicks to bring up the low-end punch without actually having to boost the low-end. Helps keeping this region clean, only need to cut a but in the "carton box" area and this kick is pretty much ready for almost any mix. And seriously, I really mean any mix.

Just don't overboost the low-end like a moron, unless you want your mix to pump like an old trance beat.

fair point!, I guess i have always found i havent needed to add anything but tbh it could be my room i mix in which is causing problems!. anyway +1 to trying a different sample, if you got the platinum slate pack then you have a good variety.:)

I would never add maxxbass to kick 10. That kick has a huge amount of lows as is. If anything, take out some. If you guys feel like kick 10 needs more bass, invest in new monitors.

[UEAK]Clowd;10047865 said:
do you know what maxxbass does??

I guess Maxxbass excite lows and mid-lows without giving any distortion...in other words it pump up your lows.
I wouldn't use maxxbass on kick 10.
I use maxxbass just with the toms and sometimes when I have to excite low frequencies in my master.

maxxbass finds the harmonics of the bass allowing it to sound bassier but not actually be fully in the low frequency range, which can help bassdrops become audible on shitty speakers(because shitty speakers usually have shitty low frequency range)

I would never add maxxbass to kick 10. That kick has a huge amount of lows as is. If anything, take out some. If you guys feel like kick 10 needs more bass, invest in new monitors.

Totally 100% disagree with this..

I use Maxxbass on my kick all of the time.. You just need to know how to use it. And if used properly it'll add more depth than any sort of EQ could.

The trick with Kick 10 is making sure you don't let the fucker clip-- that's where shit gets muddy and ruins a mix.

A great combo for kick 10 also is to use SURGICAL eq before any sort of comp, and throw some maxx bass on there, don't be a pussy.:headbang: