Mixing live compared to studio?

Anssi, with your method of opening the fader to 0 db and then adjusting the actual volume with the gain pot have you ran into situations where you couldn't get a signal loud enough? Also, how do you adjust volumes during the show? Using the fader or the gain pot? Does this method work on analog and digital consoles alike (I haven't used a digital desk so far)?

This method works the same way for both digital and analog consoles; you use your ears instead the meters to determine the level. I also always try to avoid mixing with headphones, because you are only one who uses them in the room. Only if the PA is seriously undersized for the space you might not hear some elements, but this usually only affects mainly badly adjusted synth patches (VERY common, I get these a lot when doing house engineering), kick and snare because of their percussive nature and need to be loud, and sometimes the bass as it's low end eats a lot of headroom. Initial level adjustment on the gain and then minor volume adjustments from the fader during the show, and if there is feedback from the PA (not monitors), I drop it slightly from the gain pot. If it's from the monitors, I drop the aux send(s).