Mixing/Mastering My Metalcore EP, any thoughts?

Logshreds

Logshreds
Mar 24, 2011
LA

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of mixing/mastering my metalcore EP for my solo project Adverse. Up there ^ is one of the finished tracks, I'm giving myself some time to step away and come back with fresh ears, so in the mean time I would appreciate ALL feedback on this mix.

Specs:
Fake drums
Pod farm guitar
Pod farm bass
Vocals done through an AKG C 1000 S

I tried for minimal effects but I do want a very hardhitting sound. My mixing reference was the new Texas In July album, I dug the production on it, especially "Cyclops"

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback

Last edited by a moderator:
needs to be better mixed... the hi hat/or crash.. i cant really tell what it is.. is really ringy. it has little bottom end to it.. It doesn't really hit hard.. lacks much. i love the music though!

actually this far into the process i'm just looking for tips on how to improve the mix i have, thank you for the kind words about the music! i'm gonna try to do some work on the cymbals and the bottom end and post an updated version for critique

Good song dude i like what you're trying to do with it...I'm assuming you can't retrackvox? they sound pretty muddy like maybe you didn't record them in the best conditions. I'd play around with the low mids try to get that mud out unless rerecording with better room dampening is an option. Also they sound very dry maybe some reverb and slight delay to sit them better in the mix. I think they could use some sparkle to, either a chorus or maybe just eq in some highs? not really sure but i would definitely spend some time trying different things. The guitars are pretty thin to me it sounds like they could use more mids and maybe even reduce the highs theres some sibbilance there for sure. But yea man not to bash ur mix it actually sounds really good for the most part, just a few things i thought could help get a more rounded sound overall.