Mixing & Mastering RATES

That sounds like bad workflow to me. You cant edit perfectly during the tracking stage, only quick adjustments should be done. You'll just be wasting tracking/paying customer time which no label/band is keen on.

That stuff is/should be done once the tracking is done!

I don't wanna argue about this, but I don't think its useful to let the other musicians play over sloppy drums.
You can track drums monday, then edit tuesday and then record guitars, bass or whatever on wednesday. I don't think its that unusual.

That sounds like bad workflow to me. You cant edit perfectly during the tracking stage, only quick adjustments should be done. You'll just be wasting tracking/paying customer time which no label/band is keen on.

That stuff is/should be done once the tracking is done!

thats why sessions should be properly organized with proper time allotted for editing of drums

what are you supposed to do when bass & guitars are locked in to drums that are out of time? Especially in faster sections? Fix the drums afterwards and then realize the guitars & bass are now out of time or leave it as is with the whole thing sounding wrong?

It CAN vary depending on the style being recorded but for the most part I would never even consider having anything else tracked until drums have been edited

you'll save yourself so much time in the end and achieve a MUCH better sounding finished product

I don't wanna argue about this, but I don't think its useful to let the other musicians play over sloppy drums.
You can track drums monday, then edit tuesday and then record guitars, bass or whatever on wednesday. I don't think its that unusual.

What are you on about? I already said that, my point was that you cant do perfect edits while you tracking, only once they leave or stop tracking, be it the next day, next week or whenever!

thats why sessions should be properly organized with proper time allotted for editing of drums

what are you supposed to do when bass & guitars are locked in to drums that are out of time? Especially in faster sections? Fix the drums afterwards and then realize the guitars & bass are now out of time or leave it as is with the whole thing sounding wrong?

It CAN vary depending on the style being recorded but for the most part I would never even consider having anything else tracked until drums have been edited

you'll save yourself so much time in the end and achieve a MUCH better sounding finished product

100% agree with you. It just cant be done while the band are waiting in your studio, wasting their time and money.

I disagree. If they have such a huge difference in rates, there are also differences in their experience, quality, reputation, publicity... If you want to get really decent result you must pay 1000$ for person B, otherwise you'll get what you pay - poor quality, zero revisions, 3 months waiting for the mix and so on... Sometimes there are offers with good quality at low rates, but it's only exception. Therefore, the chain of events would be like this:
1) Person A works for $100.
2) Person B works for $1000.
3) Client X tells Person B they won't pay him $1000 because Person A works for $100.
4) Person B refuses to work for $100 due to huge difference in experience and quality between him and Person A.
5) Client X pays $100 for Person A.
6) After getting final mix Client X was not happy with result at all.
7) Client X is forced to pay $1000 for Person B.

Same thing in all other fields in the market. There are guitars for $1000+ and guitars only for $100. No one would complain about cheap guitars from China that flooded the market :) You would just pay what you are able for.

THANK YOU.

A simple understanding of economics goes a long way guys...

I edit the drums perfectly before tracking guitars and bass. Its not wasting the musicians time. Its not wasting your time when the band is out.
I do cut tom shit and stuff later, but the drums have to be perfectly tight or tight as possible before return to tracking.
Its good when the band sees the effort. If they dont care we have a big ass tv and a xbox 360 in the chill-room.

at least your thread is getting tons of views and bumps
Really it's true. I've got many views and likes on my facebook page when I was offering 25 Eur / minute rates 2-3 months ago :) I've got zero clients from this offer, but some piece of publicity, it's not a top secret ;) People here at UM are very interested in rates/business subject, as I realized :)

OneDaySky, where can we listen to your portfolio / past works? Please post links.

Funny thread haha

My thoughts exactly.

I just read the whole thing and when i started reading i was going to post something until i reached a point somewhere on page 3 and realized everything that needed to be said had already been said. But what the hell...

100$ for 3 songs, mixed and mastered, really? Are you gonna ask him if he'll accepts separate payments too?

This thread is fucking horrible. Leave the dude and Brittany alone...worry about your own shitty studios prices.