Mixing & Mastering RATES

S'cool! Reading through this thread might help you get an idea of what people consider realistic rates: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/571279-how-much-do-you-charge-5.html

If you've really been running your own studio since 2004, then by all means, you should be charging more than I do. For what it's worth, I've settled on my rates based on what other similar studios in my general area are charging, which in my opinion is still way too low.

Thx man, appreciate all the help. Studios my side of the word charge $450 a song, and it sounds so amateur IMO. But that to me is a mad price.

Thx man, appreciate all the help. Studios my side of the word charge $450 a song, and it sounds so amateur IMO. But that to me is a mad price.

It's not mad at all. Imagine if you constantly put out stuff that smokes their stuff hands down, and you charged around the same as they do? Like you said, people will pay the one who's work they like most - if you can beat their product, you have no reason to do it for less than tenth the price!

Why on earth would we hate interns? I have interned myself, and I've had an intern help me on a session, and both kind of experiences have been absolutely positive.

Interns are there to learn and help the guys running the studios. An intern does not offer to do the album cheaper than the studio he's interning at in hopes of getting his name out there.

The intern does work for free, to gain experience and to make contacts (get his name out there). Exactly like the OP.

The intern, working for free, severely undercuts the pay of the other studio employees, especially the entry level guys...effectively ruining the whole industry of entry level studio tech:D

Not only that, the intern does work on an album. This means that if the intern had not been there, the work would have been performed by a paid employee of the studio, thereby increasing the cost of making the album, and of course the rate charged by the studio.

No offense, but all that is happening here is that people are upset that someone is willing to perform a comparable quality service for considerably less money. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It isn't bad for the recording industry in any way.

That is the way competitive markets work.

Very true man, thx for kicking some sense into my ass :headbang:

Haha, and sorry for being rough :) If anything, I'm saying your work is worth way more than thirty bucks a pop!

The intern does work for free, to gain experience and to make contacts (get his name out there). Exactly like the OP.

The intern, working for free, severely undercuts the pay of the other studio employees, especially the entry level guys...effectively ruining the whole industry of entry level studio tech:D

Not only that, the intern does work on an album. This means that if the intern had not been there, the work would have been performed by a paid employee of the studio, thereby increasing the cost of making the album, and of course the rate charged by the studio.

No dude, the interns don't record, mix or master the albums unless they're one step away from being hired as the house the engineer, in which case they're about to land a well-paid gig as one of the pros. The interns coil cables, tear down mics, clean the place up, make coffee and so on in exchange for learning. Really, your analogy makes no sense.

No dude, the interns don't record, mix or master the albums unless they're one step away from being hired as the house the engineer, in which case they're about to land a well-paid gig as one of the pros. The interns coil cables, tear down mics, clean the place up, make coffee and so on in exchange for learning. Really, your analogy makes no sense.

Jarkko,

I never said they record/mix/master.

I said they perform work. Work that must be done for the album to be completed and the studio to function. Someone needs to coil the cables, tear down mics, clean up, make coffee. If the intern wasn't there, these things would have to be done by a paid employee. This raises the cost of running a studio, and by extension, completing an album. The rates per album must rise to compensate.

My analogy makes sense. It is fundamentally the same thing.

imagine a bunch of studio techs ranting on a forum about how interns are ruining the studio tech industry lol

No point in ranting here since Jarkko has taken great care of it :wave:

Only thing that's left on my mind on the subject is that the whole undercutting stuff has at least one (sometimes) positive little aspect:
They act as a shit filter for the more serious guys.
Obviously also real work gets filtered, but there's a good chance that some of the guys who ran to the bro in the basement are people a pro wouldn't want to work with anyway.

Also another thought on the pricing:
I'd rather want people to say say "work with that guy, he's nice and does great work" than "that mofo is cheap as fuck. He also gives good head and his ass is tight."

I said they perform work. Work that must be done for the album to be completed and the studio to function. Someone needs to coil the cables, tear down mics, clean up, make coffee. If the intern wasn't there, these things would have to be done by a paid employee. This raises the cost of running a studio, and by extension, completing an album. The rates per album must rise to compensate.

I think that's work that would be done by people allready working their.
If the studio owner is alone than it's stuff he had to do himself, if the intern wasnt there.
Can't imagine anyone beeing hired and paid to do the intern-stuff alone.
Assistents on the other hand (from what I heared so far) also do that kind of stuff, but a lot more too, and have more responsibility in general.

No point in ranting here since Jarkko has taken great care of it :wave:

Only thing that's left on my mind on the subject is that the whole undercutting stuff has at least one (sometimes) positive little aspect:
They act as a shit filter for the more serious guys.
Obviously also real work gets filtered, but there's a good chance that some of the guys who ran to the bro in the basement are people a pro wouldn't want to work with anyway.

Also another thought on the pricing:
I'd rather want people to say say "work with that guy, he's nice and does great work" than "that mofo is cheap as fuck. He also gives good head and his ass is tight."

I think that's work that would be done by people allready working their.
If the studio owner is alone than it's stuff he had to do himself, if the intern wasnt there.
Can't imagine anyone beeing hired and paid to do the intern-stuff alone.
Assistents on the other hand (from what I heared so far) also do that kind of stuff, but a lot more too, and have more responsibility in general.

Well here's an interesting one....
What I currently charge is on the cheap but acceptable rate. Now, I know my skillset has expanded so I'll be boosting that price soon. I mentioned this to a few potential clients and they immediately said, 'That's fine mate, we've heard your work and X band said you're great to work with, just let us know so we can budget etc'

I have a bit of a reputation as beeing the, 'Nicest guy in the local scene' (Not my words... not at all lol, but this reputation has been helpful in securing work.

Also, I have my rate and obviously I work within the confines, but I also try to support the scene, I'll sometimes put some more unpaid work into the project for my own piece of mind etc, and even though it's not asked for, it reflects well on me and helps perpetuate a good reputatin for myself and my work..

But.. most importantly, I won't skimp on price, I will work hard and produce the best quality I can and for that I expect repeated business. Ermz is by far one of my local idols in that sense. He's actually made quite a respectable name for himself locally and most people never bring up cost or anything like that when it comes to discussing working with him because the quality speaks for itself and Ermz attitude and insight is generally a privelege when working with him.

So I take that approach to my own work :)

You think people are working for $2.7 per hour in every market and industry, after spending thousands for the necessary equipment?
Of course some will always be cheaper but you won't find someone building a house for 10% of whats normally charged - at least not legal.

A-FUCKING-MEN to this. It seems user "kass" cares as much about music and the industry around it as the OP does.

this thread brings all the lolz but this sums up my thoughts :fu:

I have one question.
Onedaysky said he likes editing guitars and tightening up performances
For me its not a part of the mixing job. I will just replace a hit here and there or tune some vocals here and there when I am hired for mixing.
But isn't the editing part of the tracking guys?
Do the other guys also edit the performance when they only do the mix?

I have one question.
Onedaysky said he likes editing guitars and tightening up performances
For me its not a part of the mixing job. I will just replace a hit here and there or tune some vocals here and there when I am hired for mixing.
But isn't the editing part of the tracking guys?
Do the other guys also edit the performance when they only do the mix?

Tracking - Editing - Reamping - Mixing - Mastering.. EACH a different service when I do it. You can package whatever you like, call it whatever, as long as you charge accordingly of course :)