Mixing & Mastering RATES

Ok, I spent a good deal of time trying to explain you why your business model is effectively joining the ongoing attempt to ruin the industry, but since you completely and utterly refuse even attempting to understand what I'm telling you, I'll just be blunt. Maybe I'll get flamed or banned, fine.

You say you're doing this as a favor for your "UM friends", but in reality, you are grabbing said "UM friends" from the throat, shoving your cock in their mouths and taking a huge piss down their throats. Why? Because you are undercutting the going rates in the market. When you publicly offer to mix and master an album for four hundred fucking bucks, assuming your work is of good quality, you're effectively playing your part in taking the rates in the industry down to a level that most of us can't keep doing this for a living.

If you still fail to comprehend this, here's the chain of events:

1) Person A works for $100.
2) Person B works for $1000.
3) Client X tells Person B they won't pay him $1000 because Person A works for $100.
4) Person B is forced to work for $100.
5) Person C works for $50.
6) Client X tells Persons A and B they won't pay either of them $100 because Person C works for $50.
...repeat, until...
7) Everyone is fucked, except the dude who thinks he's just doing everyone a favour by fucking his colleagues over.

I can understand if you want to help a band from a poor country on a low budget, but when you deliberately want to "enter the international market" publicly by undercutting all your fellow AE's, you're just being a dick.

CATCH MY DRIFT?

Ok, I spent a good deal of time trying to explain you why your business model is effectively joining the ongoing attempt to ruin the industry, but since you completely and utterly refuse even attempting to understand what I'm telling you, I'll just be blunt. Maybe I'll get flamed or banned, fine.

You say you're doing this as a favor for your "UM friends", but in reality, you are grabbing said "UM friends" from the throat, shoving your cock in their mouths and taking a huge piss down their throats. Why? Because you are undercutting the going rates in the market. When you publicly offer to mix and master an album for four hundred fucking bucks, assuming your work is of good quality, you're effectively playing your part in taking the rates in the industry down to a level that most of us can't keep doing this for a living.

3) Client X tells Person B they won't pay him $1000 because Person A works for $100.
6) Client X tells Persons A and B they won't pay either of them $100 because Person C works for $50.
...repeat, until...
7) Everyone is fucked, except the dude who thinks he's just doing everyone a favour by fucking his colleagues over.

I can understand if you want to help a band from a poor country on a low budget, but when you deliberately want to "enter the international market" publicly by undercutting all your fellow AE's, you're just being a dick.

CATCH MY DRIFT?

A little melodramatic....

What you just explained happens in every market and industry every single day.

I'll just +1 everything Jarkko said. If you're doing this for fun and learning then do it for free, if you're doing it for the money, that's great but then charge realistic prices. Your prices are ridiculous and you're actually not helping other people on this forum because guess what a lot of them are relying on their income as AEs.. Can't you see you are one of those people who devaluate the work audio-engineers do, so even the really big studios with SSL consoles will have to charge $100 per day because otherwise everybody is just going to pay his friend to record in the basement. If you love this craft, and I am sure you do, then open your eyes and see you are actually making it worse for others, not helping anyone.

A little melodramatic....

What you just explained happens in every market and industry every single day.
You think people are working for $2.7 per hour in every market and industry, after spending thousands for the necessary equipment?
Of course some will always be cheaper but you won't find someone building a house for 10% of whats normally charged - at least not legal.

...repeat, until...

CATCH MY DRIFT?

+1

...repeat, until...

CATCH MY DRIFT?

I'll +1 this post... If you go down burning bro.. Me too! :p

...repeat, until...

CATCH MY DRIFT?

I comprehend what you saying man, at the end of the day ppl will pay for services according to the supply and demand ration. And Quality will always outshine and Currency value. If they like your mixes better then they'll go to you and vica versa. People kill for less than most studios charge for an album these days. In my country studios rip ppl off for terrible quality, and i stand to change that and i really doubt my rates will influence global rates :lol: by a long shot. I charge a standard rate and track for as long as it takes to get it right. time limits squash potential in studio. My ethics are way off the wall compared to conventional studios, and i know that. I put the musician first in my studio regardless about the hours or money. And im not going against my work ethics and beliefs by changing what i think a fair rate is. I feel what i charge is fair period.

DavidJason460.jpg

I comprehend what you saying man, at the end of the day ppl will pay for services according to the supply and demand ration.

True. The supply and demand ratio in the mid-level market isn't quite as good as it could be, though. Just my view on the situation.

And Quality will always outshine and Currency value. If they like your mixes better then they'll go to you and vica versa.

That's exactly why you should value your work. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. By not charging realistic amounts, you're basically telling people you're a monkey.

People kill for less than most studios charge for an album these days. In my country studios rip ppl off for terrible quality, and i stand to change that

That's cool, and I mean it, but crapping on the industry while doing so doesn't have to be a part of your plan. Charge what others charge, just do it better than them. If you mean to be a charity, then make it clear that you are just that.

and i really doubt my rates will influence global rates :lol: by a long shot.

That's where you're completely wrong, though. If you were the only one on the planet doing this, no-one would give a shit. Least of all me. Unfortunately, there are more and more people doing this every day, and trust me, it's a real problem. Gladly there are still artists who don't mind paying what this service is supposed to cost, but more than once I have been directly linked to some threads like this on this very forum in an attempt to get me working for way less than I could ever afford. "Because that guy does it, too."

time limits squash potential in studio.

In a way I completely agree with you. Unfortunately there is no free lunch, and using studios is supposed to cost money, and someone is supposed to pay. That's the foundation of us paying our bills.

Holy shit, that got me :lol:

I know the scene in Florida is flooded with dude's doing full production's on song's for 45-60 bucks a song. And it def affect's the amount of work we get at our studio. Mind you that we are lucky enough to be getting world from all over the world but, not as much as we wish we were cause of kid's complaining we charge to much. When the amount of time we put into our mixes and productions out weigh the amount we charge already. just my two cents

You guys must hate interns...

Why on earth would we hate interns? I have interned myself, and I've had an intern help me on a session, and both kind of experiences have been absolutely positive.

Interns are there to learn and help the guys running the studios. An intern does not offer to do the album cheaper than the studio he's interning at in hopes of getting his name out there.

^^^^^
Your spot on Jarkko
Ok looks like my idea of trying to help UMF users out wasn't a good idea.
Whats more reasonable rates Jarkko? Using my rate structure? You prob got more experience than I, so i couldn't charge your rate.

S'cool! Reading through this thread might help you get an idea of what people consider realistic rates: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/571279-how-much-do-you-charge-5.html

If you've really been running your own studio since 2004, then by all means, you should be charging more than I do. For what it's worth, I've settled on my rates based on what other similar studios in my general area are charging, which in my opinion is still way too low.

This thread got trolled so hard. Fact of the matter is

A) Clint is offering his services.
B) Clint chose the price.
C) It is a business, if you like his work, pay him for it, if you don't then go elsewhere.
D) You can't tell somebody how you think they should run their business, that's absurd.

Now, that rant over, who decided to hit Clint up and get some shiz mixed?

He's a great dude, keep him working!

:)