Mixing & Mastering

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hey! I just found this forum and already I am posting, nyuk nyuk! :Spin:

I just had a question for Mr. Sneap! I have recorded some cool songs with fake drums and synth such as harp, organ, and mellotron. I recorded my own guitar and bass and I got it to sound pretty cool, better than most demo's I hear..

Well anyway I wanted to ask about mixing. As far as I know, mixing is the act of picking a pan for the sound (-100 to 100, 0 being the middle) Same thing with the volume. Then I can add effects to the channel, such as reverb, delay, etc.... and also "expand" the sound.. I've been using the expand effect on my rhythms and it sounds pretty good when I keep them in the middle (0) and expand them completely. I have no idea what Mastering is, I assume it comes after mixing but I've never actually done it (or maybe I did but I didn't KNOW!) I dunno what it is. So I'd like to know that! :erk:

I use Adobe Audition 1.5..... It's probably not as good as what Mr. Sneap uses, what does he use? I heard Mr. Swanö uses Nuendo but I haven't been able to find it around. A lot of the music programs cost an arm and a leg!

If you know about Adobe Audition 1.5 and care to say some stuff about how to mix and such in it, I'd be glad to hear! I have all kinds of trouble with volumes and decibels. I keep my solos far to the sides, my rhythms are expanded in the middle to be in both speakers (both heavy and clean) and my rhythm keyboard is completely expanded.. the harp is expanded less than the rhythm which makes it sound closer to the person and easier to hear.

I know this whole message really reads horribly, I'm sorry.... this stuff is just hard to talk about because I've never talked about it before, I'm a nOOb to it.. I downloaded some guide that someone typed up to figure out where to put each instrument and thats pretty much the only reason my demos sound as good as they do.. I just need more help. I don't even have a compressor, or atleast I don't know if I do.. I need a better program I guess. :D

Thank you VERY MUCH!! :headbang:

Oh and honestly, the new Nevermore mix is the best I've ever heard.. It sounds so clear! :dopey:

Black neon bob said:
ehm... what am i missing here?
Go to the Opeth forum and read some of his posts there. Especially the ones that he has written to Mikael's wife under "Moonlapse is back!" thread.

Wow, some of you guys are really gay. I came here looking for help from Mr. Sneap and/or other experienced people, and all I get is this flaming nonsense from my old fascist friends.. :(

Except you morningstar, I'm checking out the link you posted.. thanks.

commandante said:
Go to the Opeth forum and read some of his posts there. Especially the ones that he has written to Mikael's wife under "Moonlapse is back!" thread.

Ah great... it's reassuring to know that the rest of the UM community finds the choice bits on the Opeth forum :erk:

They're not the rest of the UM community, they're a handful of people who are obsessed with me. You might even go as far as to say they stalk me.. These people include but are not limited to:

Hopkins
S4R
Evan
commandante
CrimsonDeath

Moonlapse said:
Ah great... it's reassuring to know that the rest of the UM community finds the choice bits on the Opeth forum :erk:
Don't worry Moonie, I read a lot on that forum. I just choose not to respond to anything because the mental age there is pretty low.

By the way, Oink, just because you stalk people online doesn't mean that other people do that too. :tickled: Also it was really not-so-fascist from you to call people "gay" for speaking against you. :p

commandante said:

Jesus. I have never really visited that forum despite loving the band. I can assure you that I won't be returning. It's like 15 year old skateboarders argueing outside a 7-11 only there are like 10,000 of them.
No offense to those of you who are active there. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude for that.

commandante said:
Don't worry Moonie, I read a lot on that forum. I just choose not to respond to anything because the mental age there is pretty low.

By the way, Oink, just because you stalk people online doesn't mean that other people do that too. :tickled: Also it was really not-so-fascist from you to call people "gay" for speaking against you. :p
You should know as well as anyone from paladin, that you guys were almost completely obsessed with me.. And considering the homosexual themes of your regular chat, saying "gay" would be honest.

Anyone who questions the stalking comment just has to go to posts I've made recently and see who immediately responds to them. ;)

egan. said:
Jesus. I have never really visited that forum despite loving the band. I can assure you that I won't be returning. It's like 15 year old skateboarders argueing outside a 7-11 only there are like 10,000 of them.
No offense to those of you who are active there. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude for that.

I understand completely - I've been trying to change that, but it's an arduous process.

Oinkness said:
They're not the rest of the UM community, they're a handful of people who are obsessed with me. You might even go as far as to say they stalk me.. These people include but are not limited to:

Hopkins
S4R
Evan
commandante
CrimsonDeath

Let's set the record straight here, not only have you spammed the opeth forum with a load of really inane nonsense. You've caused more shit than any one other use in the metal hub, you kept coming back to us, and not the other way around, seriously, do you have problems?

If you'll use this forum responsibly then i have no problem, but I know you won't.

There you go again.

I came to this forum looking for help on mixing and mastering, and you guys bombarded my thread with nonsense. Then you have the audacity to say that I don't use the forum responsibly.

And I didn't "keep coming back" to paladin, I am currently using grind and that's where I have been for quite a long time.

Oinkness said:

Hopkins
S4R
Evan
commandante
CrimsonDeath
Hi Oinkness! :wave: :D