mixing tips thread

jagarock

Aug 31, 2009
maybe theres is something like this already?

im after general tips when mixing when making a metalproduction.
like some sort of startingpoint for the not so advanced homerecordists here, myself included

* giving each instrument their place in the mix is important, how do you do this
* what plugins can you not live without, where / how do you use them
* how do you multitrack, how many tracks, leads, vocals, rythm / panning of these?

im sure there would be more to add

google-girls.gif

Wow...Ive been away for a while. Its crazy to me that when I return that this is one of the first threads I see. I cant believe that this stuff is still asked soooo often. All the answers you need are already answered throughout the forum. If you search, you wont be sorry. I searched literally for MONTHS before I ever had to ask a question. It gets very addicting once you begin searching lol. You will find things that you didnt even know you should ask. It realy is worth all the time it takes because it will answer all your questions and more!

like some sort of startingpoint for the not so advanced homerecordists here, myself included

* giving each instrument their place in the mix is important, how do you do this
* how do you multitrack, how many tracks, leads, vocals, rythm / panning of these?

Answers;
yes, loads.

tips -
I pan. and eq.

I can live without all of it, just a good band and time is all that matters.

I multitrack by recording simultaneous ins, over a period of time. Track count varies on style and song. Average about 20-30.

I'm sure you'd ask more - and I don't want to sound rude, but there are a bunch of topics on the front page (and beyond) that answer this in detail from Andy Sneap to the other "famous" guys that frequent the forum.

[on a side note; this place is becoming flame-ville. we were all n00bs once.]

here I go:

The first thing is making sure everything is tracked properly, cleaned, aligned and (my pet hate when someone doesn't do it) each track labeled. I normally then look and study the mix and try and determine my attack plan.

Drums I normally have two overheads (panned left and right), snare (middle), toms (panned from left to right), kick (middle) and room track. I set up a overhead buss, parallel comp buss, tom buss (all of these have an output to my drums buss), plugs used is eq, comps, saturation, reverb, delays - now the panning and the eq'ing allows to create space and also lets each part of the mix have it's own place in the spectrum

Bass is panned in the middle,135hz and 900 hz being bosted after high pass to about 130 hz, then smashed with a compressor

Guitars are panned how ever I think is needed (for example I may have one panned hard right and left and one in the middle for the chorus, then in the verse I may have one panned say 40% to the left and one in the middle, when it hits are heavier part I may add another guitar to these other two and pan it 60% right), up to you. Eq, comp, reverb, saturation and all other effects used here. I normally have all the guitars sent to the guitar buss, so I can have more control when looking at overall levels

Vocals like guitars change in panning all the time (main vocals in the middle with harmonies panned either side), I normally smash my vocals with a comp, use tap delay, chorus, saturation etc, all depends on the mix. Main vocals are sent to the main vocal buss and harmonies are sent to harmony buss (which is then sent to vocal buss), all these effects are normally used via sends!!!!

Automation is the key to a good mix (being effects, panning, volume etc), try to move things around so it doesn't get boring and also check eq guides on the net to give you some rough knowledge about certain frequencies that cause say "trashiness, warmth" etc in the spectrum.

Hope this helps

Ill give you two sentences. Figure out what they mean:

Always CUT if you want to make something clearer
BOOST if you want to make something Different

Good luck:heh: