Mixing too hot and how to prevent it

veronicafalls

Mar 26, 2009
Puyallup, Washington
I'm just been snooping around mixing posts and am just wondering, what is mixing to hot and how do I prevent that from happening. And if there are any other common mixing and post-production things to watch out for, I would appreciate if you can explain it to me. Thank you so much. :worship:

These things....

04%20Preamp-Line%20Input%20Gain%20Controls.jpg

turn them down, job done.

thanks I was looking all over for this. unfortunately when I search hot it comes up with an error.

dont' sweat it dude. the search engine on this site is fucked with a capital "F". why in the hell someone would want to suspend all searches involving 3 letters is beyond me, especially in a recording forum. it'd be better to just disable searches. sorry, rant over. :heh:

and for whatever it's worth - mixing within reasonable levels is really as logical as just turning down the faders (this goes for recording too, just turn down the preamps, line6 levels, etc.). a lot of this becomes crystal clear when you perform the whole lifecycle from start to beginning (recording -> mastering). when you do that a few times, you realize that each piece has it's own purpose - and mastering is there to bring the song's levels up (in addition to many other things). knowing this helps you feel better about just getting a good, non-clipping signal at the beginning.