mixing vocals

Brender500

Mar 16, 2010
I did a search and didn't find anything.

currently i am recording a cover of it's my life by bon jovi and i have never recorded vocals before and have now clue on were to start mixing them.So my first question would be how do i blend/make space for the vocals to were you can hear them but they are not just loud?

What i do know is that i need to add a compressor to keep it at a level volume and some reverb.

Compress yes, sometimes even double compress. Sometimes double compress then a limiter. Sometimes all of that plus some volume automation. However, most would argue withe the verb on the vocals though, it's been my experiance (through reading and in practice) that a delay works better than putting a reverb on a vocal track. Unless the verb is used for an effect of some sort.

Vocals usually sit nicely in the 2k-6k range. So you may have to make room for them by taking some of those frequencies from some of the other instruments. Hi pass them a good amount too. Any lows or low-mids in a vocal will most likely muddy up your mix. This should get you going in the right direction.

I usually make two buses Reverb bus and delay bus.... than play with the levels until it sounds fine... I usually set the delay to quarter notes or eight notes - fits much better than randomly chosen delay but you all probably know that already.