Mod a pedal switch from button to 1/4"

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

I've heard that you can mod a pedal's footswitch and replace it by a 1/4" jack input. The goal of this is to use a midi amp switcher (the Engl Z11) and to use one of it's channel to switch another pedal on and off.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on how the Z11 works. If it is a one shot, then all you would need to do is replace the momentary switch with a 1/4" jack. In reality though every pedal is different. For example the flip flop circuit of the TS-9/808/SD-1 would require that you connect the signal input of the Z11 to the positive lead on the switch and the other to the ground connector of the Z11 which would basically be the same thing that I just said above.

If you have a pedal that has true bypass, it would take a bit more work.

Thanks for your answer. I have no idea if the Z11 is a one shot or something else, I believe when a switch is pressed it stays in internally (just like a normal amp switch, you press it and the amp stays on the selected channel)... But I actually have no idea what I'm talking about :)

I think you are right, the Z11 is to convert a midi signal into a standard footswitch. I think you are better off getting a midi loop switcher. I know axess made small stompbox sized switchers that should be cheaper than say a GCX. You would have to find them used though, as axess went out of business a couple of years ago.

Fuck I should ahve looked at it before. Sorry Brett, the Z11 is a midi loop switcher. You just put the pedal in a loop program your foot controller to that loop and you are done. No need to modify the pedal.

EDIT: Scratch that, read through the manual. You could use it to turn a pedal off and on, but it would be more of a hassle more than anything.