Modern Gothic Metal

Pavlos

New Metal Member
Jun 25, 2016
Hello all!

I am looking for any bands that have these qualities:
Gothic style, without being focused on romance (more of a emphasis on horror/fantasy theme)
Clean male lead vocals
Relatively recent albums (late 90s to present)
Easily-accessible (so, not an obscure band that did one recording once in their garage, lol)

Does such a band exist?

So far I have liked bits of Paradise Lost, Disturbed, and Poisonblack, but none of them quite do it for me, especially thematically (bring on the horror/fantasy!)

Thanks!

So you're not looking for Peter Steele? haha

I'll try to help but I'm not entirely sure of what you're asking. Like, most goth bands go with the romance thing cause it sells. Unless you mean like Murderdolls? But thats like horror punk rather than goth.

Thanks for your reply Lunella.

Peter Steele rocks! Type O Negative is what got me running down this rabbit hole in the first place. I LOVE their sound...but not so much their subjects/lyrics. For others it is the opposite. For instance, I love the theme and atmosphere of a lot of Theatres des Vampires' work, but their lead singer has some shrill vocals that sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. If someone combined Type O and Theatres together, that would be exactly what I am looking for. However, such a thing may not exist; but hopefully there is something close!

And, yeah, Murderdolls is too punk for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hello all!

I am looking for any bands that have these qualities:
Gothic style, without being focused on romance (more of a emphasis on horror/fantasy theme)
Clean male lead vocals
Relatively recent albums (late 90s to present)
Easily-accessible (so, not an obscure band that did one recording once in their garage, lol)

Does such a band exist?

So far I have liked bits of Paradise Lost, Disturbed, and Poisonblack, but none of them quite do it for me, especially thematically (bring on the horror/fantasy!)

Thanks!
Moonspell

Try the Godfather of Goth Rock himself, Bing Crosby. If that doesn't satisfy you, you may want to try some Tiny Tim, great Goth rocker.

Good stuff! Moonspell and Abysmal Grief are both right up my alley, and I had not encountered them before. Any similar recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

HPL, given your forum name, do you know of any Loveraftian music that would fit within modern metal with clean vocals?

You might want to check out Skyler Alexandre's Whispers In The Dark.

Also check out Arkham Witch.

Last edited:
HPL, given your forum name, do you know of any Loveraftian music that would fit within modern metal with clean vocals?
I think there's a German goth metal band called The Vision Bleak, very Lovecraftian, they even dedicated a whole album to Lovecraft, they might fit the bill.