Modern production techniques vs. yesterday´s

I don't mind "over-polished" but I hate the way everything is starting to sound the same.

Most metal releases now a days are the same amps/same samples/same processing/same everything. When a band has it's own sound, it's a good mixture of their tone and their music. Take away their "tone" and that's when these groups in the same genre's sound the exact same. It's sad waiting for a vocalist just so I can realize what band has been playing, I'm getting tired of this 5150 and Dual Rectifier. I want something NEW and TRUE to a certain sound, not the same thing I've been hearing for the past 15 years. I want to hear a different guitar tone, a different kick and snare sample, I want to get away from this over done "wall of sound" that's been used in every album.

Maybe I'm just asking for too much. :zzz:

Well.. maybe you're asking for something that is out of the sphere of the genre that you're listening to? If you don't want 5150 and Dual Rect, and everything that goes with that... maybe you should try listening to some other music?

that's what I am doing, I listen to Down, Led Zeppelin, Joe Bonamassa
or other "blues rock" (ok, Down is something else, but I think you know what I mean :D ).
I think those "modern" production techniques fit some bands quite well, but they wouldn't work very well
for other bands-I can't imagine Led Zeppelin with quantized drums and so on, but I also can't imagine Meshuggah without djent and so on.

My ears need to "relaxe" from time to time.
It's the same with the music I play for myself.
I really like it to play a good guitar through a 5150 into a Mesa cab or stuff like that,
but sometimes, my old accoustic and a few blues licks are the best for me.

Well.. maybe you're asking for something that is out of the sphere of the genre that you're listening to? If you don't want 5150 and Dual Rect, and everything that goes with that... maybe you should try listening to some other music?

It's not the only music I listen to, but I like metal :kickass:

Just not the recycling of the sounds.

For "band feeling" I strongly recommend listening to some Rolling Stones records like "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Finger" or "Exile On Main St."!

I really like Rectifier und 5150 sounds (playing one myself), but I cannot stand modern "brick wall" mastering. This kills it for me. I cannot listen to such records, unfortunately. Just can't stand it.

Bullshit.
There was once a time when not every metal record released sounded like a damn near carbon copy of the rest of the year's releases.

Metal is a genre I got into because of this. Lots of bands with hugely differing sounds, styles and atmospheres. Production goes hand in hand with the writing as I'm sure most of us here will agree, and tasteful production only helps to enhance this.
People say "if you don't like it listen to something else" but there's nothing wrong with expecting 110% of bands.
If a band isn't willing to go the extra mile and really carve out a niche for themselves, really make themselves their own unique creature then I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they don't quite deserve success.

Listen to a fuckton of metal from the 90's and you'll go "oh yeah, it does all sound totally different."
Nowadays we're too obsessed with 5150's, Rectifiers and V30's, 1 inch away from the speaker, between the cone and the dustcap, and andy's amp settings to realise that we're killing this era's music by making it all sound exactly the fucking same and you're saying he should listen to something else as though it's something HE'S doing wrong?

There's a reason I've damn near stopped listening to metal and it's this contentment with near complete stagnation while anyone else who DARES question it is clearly in the wrong.
Bullshit man, total bullshit :)

(i still love you though baby <3 no real agressiveness intended haha :D)

I agree a fair bit with Gareth saying how homogenized metal has become.
I've always liked that attitude of pushing for quieter mastering jobs on a broader scale. If there's one thing many 90s albums had right IMHO it's that they were sensibly mastered, none of this fucking garbage mastering jobs like "Virus" by Hypocrisy. That shit is just ruining music. Stuff like "Virus", I get like 10 minutes into it and I just fucking turn it off, because it gives me a headache, LITERALLY.

You want to make metal more exciting to listen to? How about some fresh compositional work for a start, sheesh. Shoving more volume via master bus limiting in my face isn't adding to the excitement, that's for sure.
Heh, people hate on the Between the Buried and Me's "Colors" production, but I liked it for the very reasons people didn't, that it sounded a little dirty, not entirely clean and precise and eh, people complained the guitars lacked high end, I like the fact they ended up sounded a bit smoothed out because of how it all ended up.
Ultimately I think sometimes we look for a level of perfection that is just isn't there because it's all more subjective than we sometimes think.
Case in point, I honestly don't think Clayman is as spectacular as someone people on here think.
Some people think This Godless Endeavor had a guitar sound that was too fizzy.
But me it fit the album perfectly and sounded amazing.

And that's the thing with today's technology, is that because of the tools on offer we can get closer to perfection than ever before, but at the same time it's dangerous because we can get stuck trying to reach perfection with the most edited as fuck drums possible, quantized guitars as possible etc etc.
When really, perhaps the band could have spent more of their money on actual production (not mixing, engineering) and getting the best arrangements out of the music, getting into the best state of mind etc.
They might lose 10 per cent in terms of sonics, but the end result might be music 100 times more appealing.

This is the aspect I hate the most:

nirvana_vs_cubehead.jpg

I was listening to some old Rush the other day, and it got me started thinking about this. I just love the vibe on older albums.

It doesn't get much better than that, I love Rush's production in the 70's.

I prefer older metal productions for sure. I was just listening to some old Nocturnus earlier and I was thinking, man everybody must surely think this sounds like shit today, but I wouldn't change a thing.

It doesn't get much better than that, I love Rush's production in the 70's.

I prefer older metal productions for sure. I was just listening to some old Nocturnus earlier and I was thinking, man everybody must surely think this sounds like shit today, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Same for all the Gorguts I've been listening to recently.
Sounds pretty bad, but there's a twisted beauty to it and theres 100x more atmosphere and individuality to the sound than ANY modern metal album.

Bullshit.
There was once a time when not every metal record released sounded like a damn near carbon copy of the rest of the year's releases.

Metal is a genre I got into because of this. Lots of bands with hugely differing sounds, styles and atmospheres. Production goes hand in hand with the writing as I'm sure most of us here will agree, and tasteful production only helps to enhance this.
People say "if you don't like it listen to something else" but there's nothing wrong with expecting 110% of bands.
If a band isn't willing to go the extra mile and really carve out a niche for themselves, really make themselves their own unique creature then I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they don't quite deserve success.

Listen to a fuckton of metal from the 90's and you'll go "oh yeah, it does all sound totally different."
Nowadays we're too obsessed with 5150's, Rectifiers and V30's, 1 inch away from the speaker, between the cone and the dustcap, and andy's amp settings to realise that we're killing this era's music by making it all sound exactly the fucking same and you're saying he should listen to something else as though it's something HE'S doing wrong?

There's a reason I've damn near stopped listening to metal and it's this contentment with near complete stagnation while anyone else who DARES question it is clearly in the wrong.

In the words of the great Metalkingdom: ^ Gay

Bullshit.

It was a question. The rebuttal was not really needed. I was not SAYING anything.. merely questioning the thing. But I don't own a 5150 or a Dual Rect, so I couldn't really give a shit! :Smokin:

Ah, my bad man, my rant wasn't really particularly aimed at you, but more sums up my thoughts on what the topic is asking.

This is the aspect I hate the most:

I actually put Heart-Shaped Box on my KRKs for the first time the other day and was astounded at the sound of the clean guitar at the start of the song...

but even listening to modern production, there are still a few gems out there that still have dynamic sound to them, so hopefully, all is not lost...

maybe we should start a thread with similar to the guitar tone competition one.

everybody gets all the tracks for a song..

see who can produce something fresh sounding?