Monitor Translation

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,
I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6s, and recently when I've been referencing my mixes on other speakers, I've noticed that these monitors don't translate too well. They don't give an accurate measure of the "center" area in a mix, and the bass is a bit over-exaggerated. Has anyone else heard these monitors and noticed similar things, or is it just me?

More to the point, I paid about $700 AUD for the pair, can anyone recommend me a better pair that will translate nicer for around the same price? I'm willing to push my budget up a few hundred dollars, but I'd prefer not to.

P.S. I think the US dollar is roughly the same as the Australian at the moment, if anyone is wondering.

There's a possibility your speakers are fine. What's the setup in your room, where are you positioned, what objects do you have on your left / right / back etc.etc. All those things can be of influence.

I have owned these monitors and they worked fine for me.

There's a possibility your speakers are fine. What's the setup in your room, where are you positioned, what objects do you have on your left / right / back etc.etc. All those things can be of influence.

I have owned these monitors and they worked fine for me.

Alright, that is quite possibly my issue. I have a small room so a lot of things are crammed in here. It isn't exactly a proper studio set up. In terms of positioning, I've got everything set up where recommended. About 45 degree angle either side of me with both facing me directly. I am pretty close to them however... maybe a meter away.

I didn't realise this sort of stuff could influence the sound of them as much as it has. Is there anything aside from room treatment that you can recommend to combat this?

Alright, that is quite possibly my issue. I have a small room so a lot of things are crammed in here. It isn't exactly a proper studio set up. In terms of positioning, I've got everything set up where recommended. About 45 degree angle either side of me with both facing me directly. I am pretty close to them however... maybe a meter away.

I didn't realise this sort of stuff could influence the sound of them as much as it has. Is there anything aside from room treatment that you can recommend to combat this?

Have you got a photo or drawning of your current position, room dimensions and so on?

It's most likely just your room and its lack of treatment.

New monitors might help, to an extent, if you happen find a pair that somewhat "counteract" the bad acoustics in your room with how they're "EQ'd," but you would be much better off treating the room.

Room treatment and grab yammy hs80s

+1 exactly what I did.

I owned the KRKs for about 2 years and was mixing in an non symmetrical room with no treatment. I agree mixes didn't really translate very well and it really took me awhile to learn how my monitors and room sounded. They got me by starting out but now mixing on the hs80ms in an acoustically treated room makes a huge impact on how I mix.

My mixes translate very well now, especially in the low end area. I had trouble with that on the rokit 6s. Although, there are many variables that can't just be set on the rokits alone. I've learned a lot since then, improved my mixing, upgraded other gear, and of course, treated my (new) room.

So long story short, I would treat your room first.