Monitoring ampsims live...

ballstix

Jul 5, 2009
Portland, OR
Trying to build a live rig with my laptop and ampsims.

This is generally how you'd do it for the PA, right?:

Guitar -> Audio Interface Input -> Laptop / Processed Signal -> Audio Interface Output -> Front of House

My question is, what would be a really cheapass method of personal monitoring? I could get an active cab (don't own any decent poweramps) or does anyone use in-ear monitors for their guitars? I'm just broke and need a hackjob live rig asap. As long as I can hear myself it's all good; it's just for monitoring.

I use a Tech 21 Power Engine 60. It's a powered ext. cab with a 12" Celestion 70/80. Not much colorization(I won't claim none like most people that review them but not much). It has a an XLR and a 1/4 in an a XLR out to run to a P.A. or chain another one togeather. It get's pretty loud and really does a nice job. I picked mine up for $150 on Ebay. I am thinking about getting one more so I can run Stereo. Not sure what your budget is but it works good. Hell it's less than a pair of ok monitors.

Lately I've been using a line-out of my amp into a pair of my IEMs, works wonderfully.. I would highly recommend it.

Don't rely on venue engineers to deliver good monitor mixes if that is your only monitoring for guitar - things can too easily go wrong.

What is your current setup? Earlier in the year when I worked with Devin Townsend, he had his Axe-FX and ran that into a small poweramp and into a cab, solely for monitoring purposes. If you are upgrading from a hardware amp perhaps this could be best for you.