Mono or stereo?

Alphanumeric

Jul 12, 2013
UK
This may seem like some basic fundamental stuff but I feel a little confused as to what "should" be used (not necessarily technical but artistic as well)

Obviously kicks, snares, toms, bass, rhythm guitars etc are mono/mono panned, overheads and room are stereo (printed) but ..

for 'ambient' or background guitar melodies, layering, I use a stereo track to make full use of space and depth I'm trying to create, this makes sense to me but when others have looked into my session they'll say "why are these guitars on a stereo track?"

I also never know what to do with guitar solos .. or leads that aren't quite simple enough to be a melody but aren't racey enough to be a solo, even cleans. If I use a mono track for solos/leads, it feels like its poking out right out above the mix with little depth, reverb or delay seem obsolete, I know solos need to sound on top of the mix but not literally detached from it. So If i use a stereo track, it settles better with the other instruments, feels wider, and reverb/delay are filling out more space, but then when it comes to mono compatibility, there's a hole in the middle ...

You're gonna get alot of "do what sounds good" type replies as there's no right/ wrong way for doing it. Try lowering the rhythm guitars a couple of db when the solo plays and have a stereo delay on the solo so that it creeps into the left and right.

I usually treat a guitar solo as vocals. So pretty much the same level as the vocals but i usually pan them just slightly, seems to open up the stereo image a bit. Like 15L or so.

For guitarleads i usually always go for double tracked, just makes it easier to place it in the mix.

I do mono on the lead break track and send it to a stereo delay/echo. Most of the time I pan the solo the oppositie side of what ever cymbal the drummer is riding on

I double track or harmonize most of the leads I have done and pan them out a bit, 50% or a bit more L/R seems fine. I never get the feeling of a "hole in the middle" of the mix doing it that way.