Monsters of Rock

midnightrider

Sep 19, 2004
Just seen this on metal Hammer site Monsters of Rock at Milton Keynes Bowl on the 3rd June Deep Purple Headlining with Alice Cooper with more acts to be announced.Nice if Saxon could get on the bill.

SAXONATOR said:
deep purple, alice cooper, nocturnal rites, ozzy, motorhead, iron maiden, zz top and saxon would be great :) :) :)

(i am just fantazising somehow - i will have to take less pills i think) o_O

Lets not forget another great British Heavy Metal band, Judas Priest. :headbang:

SAXONATOR said:
big SHAME on me :cry: :cry: :cry:

how could i forget them :confused:

saw them with ripper owens once - great !!!

and i am SURE that someday i will listen to the voice of the original god

(i mean the voice of rob of course)

*being ashamed now* :ill:

Well you should be! But fear not, your sins are forgiven. :rolleyes: Too bad that there aren't really any good concerts in Finland.. Well, Dio was here last december and Sabbath and Maiden in last summer... and Judas Priest... but no Saxon :D

Much as I love Deep Purple, they need to put on another few more biggies before I even think about making the trek down. I heard a rumour that Magnum are going to be appearing, they're brilliant as well, I saw them last month and they were absolutely fantastic, so would be good to see them again.

If they put half of the bands below on the bill, I'M THERE DEFINITELy. Now that line-up would rock like sin!!!

The Scorpions
Judas Priest
Dio
Diamond Head
Saxon
Girlschool
Praying Mantis
Budgie
Blitzkrieg
Venom
and Krokus

I think for it too be a MONSTERS of rock, the headliners need to BE MONSTERS Still!! Purple & Cooper have had their day, still brilliant bands but to get me to travel all the way doon there there needs to be one of the biggies, Maiden, Kiss, AC/DC, Scorps, Priest..... look at Monsters line ups in the past....

80 - Rainbow, Priest, Scorpions, April Wine, Saxon, Riot, Touch
81 - AC/DC, Whitesnake, B.O.C., Slade,Blackfoot, More.
82 - Status Quo, Gillan, Saxon, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Anvil.
83 - Whitesnake, Meat Loaf, ZZ Top, Twisyed Sister, Dio, Diamond Head.
84 - AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy, Gary Moore, Y & T, Accept, Motley Crue
85 - ZZ Top, Marillion, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Ratt, Magnum.
86 - Ozzy, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Motorhead, Warlock, Bad News.
87 - Bon Jovi, Dio, Metallica, Anthrax, WASP,Cinderella.
88 - Iron Maiden, Kiss, Dave Lee Roth, Guns N Roses, Megadeath, Helloween (Best by far and my fave Donnington, GNR were amazin that day and Maiden showed why at that point they were the biggest metal band on the planet)
89 - No show due to the two deaths during GNR set the yrear before
90 - AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue,Queensryche, Black Crows.
92 - Iron Maiden, Skid Row, Thunder, Slayer, WASP, The Almighty.
94 - Aerosmith, Extreme, Sepultura,Pantera, With other bands on smaller stages.
95 - Metallica, Therapy, Skid Row,Slayer, Slashs' snakepit, White Zombie, Machine Head, Warrior Soul, Corrosion Of Conformaty.

Some great line ups there, my faves in order 88, 84, 80, 81.

My favourite would have to be 1980. Judas Priest and Saxon... :loco: Not really intrested in those other bands. There are few big names over there but I wouldn't bother going to a concert if there's only one good band playing only few songs.. :Smug:

Redman said:
I wouldn't bother going to a concert if there's only one good band playing only few songs.. :Smug:

Step forward and take a bow........... Ozzfest. (72 bands, never heard of 69 of them, but can confirm that they all sounded the same ie. poo, couldn't really give a toss about 2 of them, only wanted to see Ozzy/Sabbath)

Runner-up: Metallica. How can a band so great have a supporting line-up of total here-today-gone-later-today nobodies? Tossers!!

Dan,sorry to be picky but there's something missing from the list. There was a Donington which Whitesnake headlined and Aerosmith were on the bill with The Quireboys and Poison. The reason I remember it it is because I only went to see Aerosmith. Went in just before they came on and when I was leaving after their set the dude on the door took great pleasure in saying 'You can't come back in!'. He seemed taken aback when I said I couldn't give a toss as I'm off home! I preferred the earlier Whitesnake stuff with Moody/Marsden and before the 'nose job'. The first time they headlined I thought they were great. Aerosmith brought Jimmy Page out to play with them as well. Bonus! I think it was 1990 and DC headlined in '91. I agree with the general consensus that a 'bigger' name will be needed to get me there. I'd like Rush or Priest to headline it. :headbang:

bert said:
I'd like Rush or Priest to headline it. :headbang:

I think I would cream myself about fifty thousand times if Rush were to headline that - that would be fan-bloody-tasticly awesome!!!!!!! I heard on the radio last week that Rush "had officially retired", what the hell's that supposed to mean, last I heard they were supposed to be working on a new album and possibly touring 2006.

A few months back everyone was thinking it was going to be AC/DC to headline this but that doesn't look very likely. They're taking their time announcing these acts, I'm getting right impatient here.

Is there any DVDs from 1980 Monsters of Rock concert? I know that Saxon has one DVD from that concert, but it only has Saxon songs on it... right?

Blitzkrieg2006 said:
Journey , Ted Nugent and Thunder confirmed for Monsters ....

Not really much there to get that excited about. I like Journey right enough but I think I would prefer to see them somewhere like SECC or Barrowlands or Carling Academy. Dio would be excellent, Def Leppard not too sure cos I still have horrendoous flashbacks of their chronic performance at the Reading Festival one year. Right enough I do like quite a few of their songs, so yeah I suppose they would be good,.

Queensryche are also added to this bill now.