MOOER Green Mile vs TS808

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Was in a guitar shop today so grabbed a Mooer green mile pedal for €50.
It's a tiny tube screamer that uses the same chip as the TS808 (jcr4558).
Had to mess with the controls to match it to the ts808 but it sounds great and is maybe even a tiny bit tighter!

Here is a clip:
6505, Recto cab, M201
First ts808 left/right, second Mooer left/right and (what I was really interested in) ts808 left and mooer right.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/TS808>MOOER>TSL_MOORR.mp3

Controls on the mooer are warm mode, drive zero, level 2 o'clock and tone 9 o'clock.
Pretty amazing little pedal for 50 quid. Sounds much better than any other overdrives I have tried to match to the TS808 for left right separation.

Just tried it on the Triple Rectifier.
It tightens the sound better than any other drive I have tried.
It seems to push the mids a bit more than the ts808 which is perfect for the Recto.
Here is level 3 o'clock, tone 11 o'clock, drive 10 o'clock.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/Mooer>Recto.mp3

It really is tiny
TS808Mooer.JPG

Idk. Mu ears prefer the 808. Both sound really good but the ibanez has a bit more polished sound to me. I'm not exactly listening on new ears now so the opinion is not set in stone though.

I'm not saying it's better than the 808.
Just that it's a really good alternative and sounds pretty close for 1/4 of the price.
With the same o'clock positions it sounded thinner but when matched by A/Bing between them it got really close.
Tone at 9 o'clock on the Mooer was very like the tone at 12 o'clock on the 808
I do think it's a bit tighter than the 808 on the recto though.
I am going to use the 2 for left/right to get a bit wider if using the same head for both sides.
I have tried several different pedals opposite the 808 and they have never sat right (MXR Wylde, Boss od3 and ds1, Joyo ultimate drive)
It also has the hot mode which has way more low end and drive which will probably be good with my DSL100 green channel (didn't have time to test)
Either way, it's a bargain and cute as hell :)

I have tried several different pedals opposite the 808 and they have never sat right (MXR Wylde, Boss od3 and ds1, Joyo ultimate drive)

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is a Fulltone OCD clone. While the Fulltone OCD is also technically a reworked screamer (once again, diodes in the feedback loop of an opamp), it's main selling point was and remains, the lack of a midrange hump. Hence, for our Metal intents and purposes, largely useless.

I wonder why the Wylde didn't work for you. I have the same pedal in different clothing (MXR Classic Overdrive) and it is largely interchangeable with my TS7 and Behringer TO800 (another TS on the cheap). Stock the Wylde OD is set for asymmetrical clipping just like a Boss SD1, however you can open it up to find a switch which will switch it over to symmetrical clipping just like a TS ;)

Always good to find another alternative though. I tried the Danelectro FAB OD and was disappointed to find out it didn't do the old TS. That would have been killer at 15$ a pop :heh:

Those Mooer pedals are great. I've got 3 of them here. I've the Chorus Ensemble, Bass Filter and the Shimverb which is a really cool and different reverb pedal. It has a mode that pitch shifts the verb up a 5th so it creates a really eerie harmony. I didn't get one of their drives as I've got like 10 overdrive pedals in the studio already, but I'm sure they are nice.
I first came across them when my band did a UK tour last October, a ton of music shops we hit up had just got them in so I tried a bunch of them in different shops and ended up coming home with the chorus.

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is a Fulltone OCD clone. While the Fulltone OCD is also technically a reworked screamer (once again, diodes in the feedback loop of an opamp), it's main selling point was and remains, the lack of a midrange hump. Hence, for our Metal intents and purposes, largely useless.

I wonder why the Wylde didn't work for you. I have the same pedal in different clothing (MXR Classic Overdrive) and it is largely interchangeable with my TS7 and Behringer TO800 (another TS on the cheap). Stock the Wylde OD is set for asymmetrical clipping just like a Boss SD1, however you can open it up to find a switch which will switch it over to symmetrical clipping just like a TS ;)

Always good to find another alternative though. I tried the Danelectro FAB OD and was disappointed to find out it didn't do the old TS. That would have been killer at 15$ a pop :heh:

I also have the ultimate drive, I think it's a great pedal for metal. It's very aggressive and full and often ends up being used over my ts9 on reamps.

My main gripe with the Mooer pedals is that they have a tendency to topple over when you step on them if you're using them in a pedalboard that they aren't secured down to.