MXR Custom Badass Modified OD….

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
…. is actually badass :)
Been searching for an overdrive to go opposite my TS808 to get more width but without centre shifting.
The MXR works better than anything else I have tried.
It has lots more drive than the 808 (if required) and the 100HZ control lets you dial as much low as you need.
The bump switch adds a TS mid boost or you can leave the bump off for a more natural drive.
Overall very happy with this pedal.
Here is a test vs 808 for stereo tracks (Rose of Sharyn) into triple rectifier to recto cab.

First 808 both sides.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/808LR.wav

Now MXR left, 808 right.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/MXRL_808R.wav
CustomBadassModifiedOD-11.png

Does the bump switch make the pedal slightly louder as well? I suspect the "bump" switch is the same as the "secret switch" on the Wylde Overdrive/GT-OD.

Does the bump switch make the pedal slightly louder as well? I suspect the "bump" switch is the same as the "secret switch" on the Wylde Overdrive/GT-OD.

I presume the mid boost would increase volume.
It certainly pushes the amp saturation.
I also have a Wylde OD and find it a bit thin and scratchy.
The Badass is much better.
I only had a short time to test it today.
I just put it opposite an TS808 track and tweaked until it sounded similar but different enough to spread the stereo image.
Having control of the low end is brilliant. Hitting the bump switch and being able to add more or less lows is a great feature.

Oh. It does sound great in your clip.

Yeah, I like the GT-OD mode better than the ZW. I guess the Badass is more closely related to the GT-OD, and yeah, the ability to control the mid hump and low cut is great. The pedal looks great too.

Played a Fulltone OCD last evening and really liked it. Anyone did a comparison with the MXR? To the OP: thanks for the clips. I'll check them a bit later.

Used this for a few sessions now and can safely say that its amazing.
Superb into the triple rectifier with a bit of 100HZ cut and gain up using less gain on the amp.
Great into my other amps too.
I am mainly using either ts808 left and this right or mxr left and right with bump off for one side.
It can sound very like the TS808 but has way more tone options with loads of extra gain, 100HZ knob and bump switch.
Highly recommended :)