MXR graphic in Recto loop (clipz)

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I was tracking an album and used the Mesa MK4 for left guitar and wanted a different amp for right. Tried the recto and it just didn't have the midrange attack of the MK4 so I put an MXR graphic in the loop and it made an amazing difference.

Here is Jeff's ROS pack reamped with and without the MXR
(Thanks again Jeff. These DIs are so good for tests)
MXR on
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/MXR_ON.mp3
MXR off
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/MXR_OFF.mp3

These are about the same DBFS level. You could say the non MXR needs to be turned up but that's gonna eat some headroom. The MXR on gives a mid push that puts the guitars in the right frequencies so it appears louder. Also the cab is reacting to this mid push very differently than using a mid push eq post.
Here is pic of levels
LEVELS%20MXR.png

Here is settings for Recto and MXR (Silocon Bold CH3 Red)
TS808 drive zero, tone 1/2, level 1/2>Recto cab>57 dustcap off axis>API
MXR_RECTO_SETTINGS.JPG

I think it sounds far better with the MXR in.
What do you think.

Definitely a huge difference. Maybe a bit too much mids with the EQ? Something inbetween would be perfect for my tastes. :) Is it boosting 7dB at 1KHz?

Definitely a huge difference. Maybe a bit too much mids with the EQ? Something inbetween would be perfect for my tastes. :) Is it boosting 7dB at 1KHz?

Yeah 7db at 1k seems a lot but I set this up with a song playing with the MK4 left and the right gtr di reamped through the recto and adjusted the MXR until it matched the midrange attack of the MK4. It appears the MK4 has 7db more than the recto at 1k.
I am really glad I did this because I had not been using the recto lately as the MK4 is so much easier to fit in a mix but now I will be using the recto a lot more.
I can't post anything from the album we used this for but the mk4 left and recto mxr right sounds super wide and clear. If I get a chance over the next few days I will reamp the ROS DIs with MK4 left and recto mxr right.

Listening at home now on headphones and the MXR clip sounds vastly better to me. No low end flub, much wider stereo image and much better presence and pick attack. I can't ever see myself using the recto without this from now on.

Very interesting. I always found my guitars were kinda hollow (using my DR) in the 1.5K area when looking at the spectrum analyser. However boosting with an eq afterward doesn't sound very natural and cranking the mid knob results in a muddy tone. Will definitely try to get a hand on a MXR pedal like yours. Sounds a lot more balanced to me.

Thanks for posting

lol is the RMS of teh clips you postet in your first post really like -3db? that's insanely pushed dude.
boost sounds awesome though.

How are you measuring that?
Just checked in Bias Peak and its -7.64.
Pretty hot for sure but nothing near -3
RMS.png

well, sorry, my bad, I think.
reaper analysis shows the same values like you just posted but my trusty TT Dynamic Range Meter shows values as high as -3.3 RMS.
for reference, I just put on Testament's Rise up from their latest album and reaper shows that that track is around -9.90. TT Meter shows -7.4.
So I assume the weighting is different?

edit_ yours still sounds way louder then everything I've just put it up against^^
weird. but your guitar sound is awesome!

Wow... in all honesty the Mark IV was my favorite amp when I had it and I've been loving Recto's ever since but goddammit that Mark IV just killed the Recto in that clip. No competition for me at least.

Yeah
The MK4 is unbeatable. I had to jump through hoops to get the recto to sound anyway near as clear and punchy. I think I got close and the recto does sound really good with the mxr and it's a bit more saturated which will appeal to the death metallers.

I have a second MK4 combo coming this weekend.
I am trading my triamp 2 head for it.
I rarely use the triamp and it would be great to have 2 different MK4s for left and right tracks.
Might convert the second one into a head and/or run EL34s in the outer sockets for a different character.