Amptweaker Tight Metal test

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I'm sure most guys here have heard about this.
Designed by James Brown who designed the 5150 among other amps.
Took a bit of "tweaking" to get a great sound but with ts808 in front and MXR graphic in the loop it sounds amazing.
Extremely clear and present with no scratchy mids.
Pretty much nails the "Hail of Bullets" sound which is one of my favourite modern metal guitar sounds.

I tried it as a preamp into fx return but much preferred it running into the clean channel of my 5153 50 wt with all eq at 12 o'clock.
Gate works really well and it has its own loop that can be set pre or post distortion and this switches on and off with the pedal. I prefer it with "thrash" mode off.
Here is a test with Meshuggah cover from the practice room.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/TMS_TightMetal.mp3

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

weird that lower notes "pronounces" louder and that turns me off. But if there was way to hear something not that low (chugg/ pinch squeel metal = metalcore/ southern metal or even heavy/ power metal) it could change my mind if it sounds alright.

Also would like to hear it straight into interface (with and without TS) with your API IR.

EDIT:
Just went and checked youtube, got to say I like what I'm hearing.

I love my TightMetal. Got one when they first came out. Great back up or main tone through an IR or amp's FX return.

You need to find the right IR though because it can be a bit dark through some of them. I have a shitty webcam video on youtube through a Randall T2 power amp. Sounded amazing through my buddy's Laney VH100R too.

I usually leave it in "Thrash" mode and run it through the fx loop, sounds good with a boost. I did this test (using the Rose of Sharyn DIS) of the Tight Metal into a ADA GCS-2, super cheap but good back up/jamming rig.

Last edited by a moderator: