Moonblood - Blut und Krieg

Nov 23, 2002
This is classic for a reason 95%

The first image conjured up in my mind as I listen to this album, is one of a battlefield. A battlefield on a cold night, after every warrior has perished. Every warrior but one, a wounded victor of the dark side, who awaits a cold death under the moonlight.

Moonblood have been one of the most consistant black metal bands in history, and this is perhaps their crowning triumph. Their debut full-length simply oozes bleakness - the epic, folkish melodies are drawn out over (generally) mid-paced drumming to produce a hypnotic atmosphere, conjuring up a vast, spacious, snow-covered landscape. Gaamalzagoth, despite the frankly stupid name, is a great and distinctive vocalist. His ugly shrieks give the album a push down towards hell.

Complaints about the album's production (other than the volume-changes) are undeserved in my opinion - indeed, the trembling, droning lead-guitar tone in particular strengthens the sense of other-wordliness this recording attempts to induce.

I find the second half of this album more interesting than the first, and although this is just a subjective note (perhaps an unusual one among fans of this release?) and isn't too substantial, it is perhaps why this doesn't quite manage to get the perfect rating. Shadows, for example, although good, is quite weak (has an almost punkish vibe in places, which irritates me) compared to the magnificent title track and those after it. Moonblood's ub3rkvltn3ss is also annoying, but doesn't have a conscious effect on my score.

This is the perfect album for people who love Burzum's BM recordings and Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger", but are sick of derivative clones, and long for something that reaches the limits of epic and coldness while still being unusual. Highly recommended.