Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

Nov 23, 2002
The Supreme Abstract 96%

I remember the time this album fully clicked with me. Driving through northern Norway, with a powerful river gushing a green storm alongside us, this album seemed to be at perfect harmony with the surroundings. Actually, this would seem otherworldly to the majority, and in context to society it surely is, but in my mind this is the musical representation of that river, and thus this album is surely more worldly than anything motivated by populism (this applies to pretty much all black metal though, really). Of course, that is an entirely subjective interpretation, I'm not sure if Blut Aus Nord had nature in mind as a dominant theme when recording this.

Disregarding the first paragraph for a moment, even highly experienced people in the realm of black metal would probably tell you that there is something distinctly alien about this recording. The dissonant, sweeping melodies could almost be "The Howling Of God". A pummelling drum-machine surges them forward. Like somebody mentioned in an earlier review, drum-machines almost always make an album less natural. Why does it work here, then? Perhaps this album portrays the isolation of nature, rather than nature itself, and thus the less-human this sounds, the better? It seems to mechanically symbolise nature's efficiency and power, and so rather than just giving us the image of an insignificant machine doing its work, it actually adds to the album's organic feel. The drums are not only superbly executed, they're superbly produced, and the same could be said for the whole album. Vocal howls and screams are present in the background, but nothing obvious. They're almost indistinguishable from the guitar melodies at times, and the subtlety works extremely well.

Like most releases I heap praise upon, this one creates ambience in abundance. Like all ambient releases, this one needs to be listened to as one, as it creates a "sonic vortex" which Thamuz describes. Silence is used to great effect, contrasting beautifully with the music, creating plenty of tension and adding to the haunting atmosphere. Indeed, one track is 18 seconds of silence in preparation for the epic monster of a last track. These things have already been reflected on by others though, so I'll move on.

Blut Aus Nord have certainly developed immensely upon the ideas they started in "Mystical Beast of Rebellion" which, to be fair, is quite a weak release in comparison. There's lots of variation in pace now, at times ominously slow, at times roaringly fast. The preceding release was completely devoid of this, which was its main fault along with it never really feeling complete or purposeful, which they've also corrected here. The discordance that MBOR explores is fully recognised on this one, and like I mentioned before, the production is more fitting too.

It's interesting that the album is apparently quite accessible to those with an interest in black metal, considering how unusual it is. On the other hand, the atmosphere is so overwhelming I guess it's not that surprising. Another thing I've noticed is that the majority were hailing this album as the band's greatest 6 months ago, but now almost everyone seems to be favouring their first two releases. Though good, I've always felt that this one obliterates them both, but if you enjoy this one don't hesitate to check out their earlier material. As long as you're not expecting something quite this good, you won't be disappointed.

All that's left to say is: Pick up "The Work Which Transforms God" as soon as you can - it's an absolute blinder.

[Note: I'll correct "I've always felt that this one obliterates them both" to "I've always felt that this one is their greatest piece", seeing as an album as good as Ultima Thulee doesn't deserve a word as strong as 'obliterates'.]

The unique production and machinist drumming gives it an almost industrial-sounding edge I've never heard before. Yeah, yeah, they're "true" Satanists or whatever, but somehow, almost inexplicably, this album's sound is the embodiment of evil.

Good stuff.

I still have to check that out. Always up for stuff that is touted as being revolutionary/inventive/different etc. in a world full of generic BM clone bands...

When I listen to this album, I get the sme feeling I think I would get if I were to listen to two quantum physics professors have a discussion. I know that it's smart ad brilliant, but I simply don't get it. :(

And I used to think of myself like some sort of expert on the field...

So when I do listen to it, it's mostly beause I find it challenging. And maybe one day it'll all just dawn on me, and I'll realize what piece of gold this really is.

EDIT: Nice review, by the way, GoD. Are you norwegian, by the way?

You been to America yet? We got our own set of beautiful vistas and gushing rivers to inspire people.

I've always wanted to visit the redwood forest... Looks so incredibly beautiful, though I doubt it can measure up Jotunheimen or the gorgeous scenery of inner Troms.

Haha...and you're the one with London and Profånity.

No, seriously, not just forests...deserts, snowscapes, beaches, swamps, you name it.

I went to Nova Scotia once. AsModEe knows what he's talking about. So gorgeous.

Meh, I've been around the states. Nothing will ever match up to the beauty of the Austrian alps and cascades or the views from the train riding into Switzerland or the stunning baroque stylings of old-Florence or the Roman colloseum.....Ahhhhh, Europe.

I've still got to check this out. The one interview that I read from these people.... they are very secretive, obtuse, and basically go out of their way to confuse. Still, it generated enough interest in me to be on the look out for this one. I'll decide for myself, since I was hooked on Lunaris -- Cyclic for so long that I bypassed anything else.

THE US does have some magnificant landscapes...however, my very last vacation was through British Columbia in Canada. Unforgettable beauty.

Excellent review, since it seems it hit you on a personal level, and you related that very well.

Erik said:
Maybe, but it's still better than The Work Which Bores Me

No, it's really not. TWWTG is a brilliant exercise in dissonance, atonality, and atmosphere regardless of whether it bores you or not. Genevieve is an overhyped piece of crap which adds nothing new to the genre.