Moonlapse Vertigo vs. The Drapery Falls

When I saw this I was worried Drapery would be winning. I have a lot more faith in the average Opeth fan now. Moonlapse was the first "heavy" Opeth song I really enjoyed, and its just a much less boring song than Drapery. Drapery is still pretty good though...

There is failure insiiiide, this test I can't persiiiiist. Kept back by the enigmaaaaa!!
No criterias demanded heeere, deadly patterns made my wreeeaaath
Prosperous in your waaays! Pale ghost in the corneeeer
Pouring a careeeess ...on your shouldeeeeeeer...aaaargggghhhh!!!

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

Opinions are great.

The Drapery Falls just happens to be my #1 favorite song of all time. It eclipsed Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, a tune that was my favorite for 25+ years.

Luz said:
There is failure insiiiide, this test I can't persiiiiist. Kept back by the enigmaaaaa!!
No criterias demanded heeere, deadly patterns made my wreeeaaath
Prosperous in your waaays! Pale ghost in the corneeeer
Pouring a careeeess ...on your shouldeeeeeeer...aaaargggghhhh!!!

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

mmm that part rules.

Demon of the Fall said:
The intro of Moonlapse Vertigo (you know, like the second part, before the singing) is one of my favourite parts by Opeth ever. But overall, I prefer The Drapery Falls.

Exactly what I thought.

Ren's Detailed Hands said:
you won't find a more repetitive song than kashmir, except maybe the drapery fal--oh wait, a connection!
I don't have a list on how I judge a song - a song doesn't have to be technically genious for me to think it's a great song. I could loop and play the outtro to Deliverance forever and never get sick of it. There are many "repetitive" songs I like, and I don't think repetition makes a song less great (for lack of a better term).

From a musician's standpoint I'll just say that repetition is normally a sign of creative destitution. Some artists use it to effect, but no.... I can hardly stomach the end of Deliverance played once, much less looped ad infinitum.

Moonlapse Vertigo is a superior track. The riffs are exquisite and the way the song flows between those trademark soft/heavy parts is alot more fluid and less forced than TDF, where you could see it already becoming superfluous.

Moonlapse said:
From a musician's standpoint I'll just say that repetition is normally a sign of creative destitution. Some artists use it to effect, but no.... I can hardly stomach the end of Deliverance played once, much less looped ad infinitum.

Moonlapse Vertigo is a superior track. The riffs are exquisite and the way the song flows between those trademark soft/heavy parts is alot more fluid and less forced than TDF, where you could see it already becoming superfluous.
I've been playing piano (keyboards) for 39 years, although not as much lately, so I guess I consider myself somewhat of a musician, although I've never written any music, nor do I have that type of creativity in me.

That being said, each person digests music from a listening standpoint differently. There are many Opeth tracks that have long drawn out repetition - Deliverance, Closure, and many more. Does that make Opeth any less musically talented? Ravel's Bolero, one of, if not the most repetitive classical musical piece I know, is my favorite classical score.

I rarely critique a song - I just listen to "music" - it's how my brain operates when it comes to music. I listen to music upwards of 8 hours a day. Always at work, in my car, and working at home.

...this is hard for me to explain in a forum fashion. I can't seem to capture my thoughts about this while typing. I guess I'm a simpleton music listener who is not very critical.

I can understand some not liking the repetetive riffs, but for me...it's how good the riff is that makes the difference. Many Opeth songs do have that drawn out feeling(sometimes unnecessary), but most sound great or good enough that it doesn't bother me.

The end of "Deliverance" is just such an ominous sound with the back and forth of the 2 riffs, I love it no matter how long. "The Drapery Falls" isn't quite as headbangingly great(the beginning riff), but when they are going on in the beginning...it's just a build up for me to great song.

I really haven't found any songs by them that irritate me with drawn out riffs.

Seth

Moonlapse said:
Wait, this poll doesn't have a closure date, does it? Makes it sort of futile.
Wrong. Having no closure date means everyone has the opportunity to vote (like people who come here once a month for example).

ps. I hear the Pakistanis are pissing on you in the cricket! Let me know if I'm wrong.

damn you all. moonlapse is awesome! so is TDF. i cant get over the vocals on that song. so awesome. but the guitar work on MV is incredible. so they are both awesome.

B Crouch said:
Wrong. Having no closure date means everyone has the opportunity to vote (like people who come here once a month for example).

ps. I hear the Pakistanis are pissing on you in the cricket! Let me know if I'm wrong.
Forgive me, the Aussies are winning :oops: