Morbid Angel back in the studio... can I get a roundtable?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
[font=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]via http://www.morbidangel.com
"H" Report

[font=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]Morbid Angel (Trey Azagthoth, Pedro Sandoval, Steve Tucker) have entered D.O.W. Recording Studios in Tampa, Florida this past Friday, May 16th to begin recording their next album... Co-producing with the band is none other than long time friend and former front of house mixer of the band for 8 years Juan Punchy Gonzalez.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]Oh man, I cannot WAIT for the H album!!! When Steve Tucker took over for David Vincent I was almost shattered, and I wasn't very pleased with his vocals for Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, but he more than redeemed himself on Gateways to Annihilation! Trey and Pete of course kick more ass in their sleep than most other metallers on their best day, but everyone already knew that. :D[/size][/font]

[/size][/font]

You can always count me in on a Morbid Angel discussion. These guys are in the top 10 metal bands of all time for me. Personally, I like Formulas.. better than Gateways...

And I think he kicks Vincent's ass, especially live on the old stuff. Vincent looks like a Marilyn Manson band member now, I've even seen pictures of him with a dildo, fetish attire... that's what you get when you hang w/ the Genitorturers...

Morbid Angel are THE REASON I "found" underground metal. They are the most important band in metal to me.

Anyway . . . I wonder if they'll make it to "Z'.

I've liked all their stuff, but I have to admit it is not going to change much from album to album. Luckily they continue to crush me each time with totally perfect death metal. Trey's solos just rule this planet.

Here's a good story I tell all the time.

The drummer in my college band grew up with Pete Sandoval. That means Pete lived in Kansas for a while in his youth. That also means I'm practically buddies with Morbid Angel.

npearce said:
Morbid Angel are THE REASON I "found" underground metal. They are the most important band in metal to me.
Yup, me too.

npearce said:
The drummer in my college band grew up with Pete Sandoval. That means Pete lived in Kansas for a while in his youth. That also means I'm practically buddies with Morbid Angel.
Practically. :)

I would love to see Erik Rutan make a return, he has been in and out of the band so many times I wouldn't be surprised if he did, and would be very much welcomed!

I never checked out the Genitorturers, I know Vincent is in that band with his wife and that they are supposed to resemble Electric Hellfire Club or something. That stuff is more of a novelty for me.

I still haven't seen them live with Tucker fronting the band... :(

Trey certainly is incredible. He's the sort of guitar player that just makes you want to give up - I don't understand how he can orchestrate that stuff.

Back in the day, I remember reading some interviews with Vincent - isn't/wasn't he a white supremacist of sorts? The interview was in Kerrang, and he was trying to explain his interpretation on Darwinism - 'survival of the fittest' etc, and why Africa deserves its famine blah blah.

Maybe I'm wrong about it being 'Vincent, but I don't think so...

JayKeeley said:
Trey certainly is incredible. He's the sort of guitar player that just makes you want to give up - I don't understand how he can orchestrate that stuff.

Back in the day, I remember reading some interviews with Vincent - isn't/wasn't he a white supremacist of sorts? The interview was in Kerrang, and he was trying to explain his interpretation on Darwinism - 'survival of the fittest' etc, and why Africa deserves its famine blah blah.

Maybe I'm wrong about it being 'Vincent, but I don't think so...

No, you're absolutley right. He was a borderline fascist. I think his vocal performance was poor on Domination if you ask me...

Good to see Steve Tucker back in action.

Papa Josh said:
No, you're absolutley right. He was a borderline fascist.

I thought so. I remember his arguments being really weak as well. I know it sounds ridiculous, but there is something intriguing about a bigot who can articulate his/her facist beliefs. You know - with intellect. You probably think I sound nuts.

But this guy was just a dick. His thought process was infantile.

Papa Josh said:
I think his vocal performance was poor on Domination if you ask me...
That is without a doubt the greatest death metal vocal performance EVER. :)

I always thought the racist thing was a rumor...? Interviews I read with him he always seemed like a friendly guy.

I understand what you mean Ali, even if I whole-heartedly disagree with someone, if they can accomplish their argument with tact and intellect, I will respect them and their opinion. That's most of the reason I stopped posting in the Opeth forum, too much might equals right for my taste. Nobody there could successfully counter my arguments without resulting to childish behavior. :Smug:

NAD said:
That is without a doubt the greatest death metal vocal performance EVER. :)

You have got to be kidding...

NAD said:
I always thought the racist thing was a rumor...? Interviews I read with him he always seemed like a friendly guy.

No, he was definitely racist... it kinda went hand in hand with his "satanic" ideology and only thinking of himself.

That sucks to hear about old Vincent... oh well. I hate to hear stuff like that about musicians I love, but then again I haven't heard a thing he's done since leaving Morbid Angel anyhow. Kind of like Jon from Dissection, I have to remind myself "he didn't pull the trigger, he just... ah fuck it he killed the guy." :(

And no, I'm not kidding about the vocals on Domination, it's my favorite death metal album of all time as well. :)

phyre said:
Yeah, because you cannot be "friendly" and "racist" at the same time, can you...
:lol: What I meant is that he didn't seem like a racist, bigotted, self-centered jerk, which is the feeling I'm getting from the posts on this thread.

Yeah, OK. Another related thing: David Vincent, in the credits list of "Blessed Are The Sick", thanks "a certain leader of the past whose name I shall not mention but whose spirit I embrace." This could very well be interpreted as Hitler, of course.

Okay now it's all coming back, his thank yous were a bit strange from what I remember (haven't read them for years). Usually when I think of their thank yous I remember Trey always thanking a laundry list of video game characters and classical music composers. :)

Here's Evil D, as he is now known....

evil3.jpg

:lol: :lol:

:OMG:There was a time when he had a commanding stage presence but I'm really not sure what he might command now... o_O