Morbid Angel back in the studio... can I get a roundtable?

OK...

Just received the new cd in the mail and it's very interesting. It's called "Heretic," the artwork is really cool and the music is definitely Morbid Angel.

There is quite a bit of experimentation going on at the end of the cd. The last 3 or 4 tracks are a bit out there... Remember "Formulas Fatal To The Flesh?" Much in how that cd and Covenant represent 100% Trey's vision, so does this one. I can't wait to see what people make of this one!!

Destined to shake up some end of the year lists!

With Heretic, Morbid Angel has truly become the absolute King of All Death. Every release of theirs has its own distinct sound, but they ALL sound unmistakably like Morbid Angel. Absolutely amazing band, and Enshrined By Grace has to be one of their best songs in years, which is saying a lot!

Josh, I cannot wait to read your thoughts on this magnificient album, so at least we can have beer-swillin', ball-swingin', headbangin' good time across the South Western portion of the US. :kickass:

Papa Josh said:
Remember "Formulas Fatal To The Flesh?" Much in how that cd and Covenant represent 100% Trey's vision, so does this one. I can't wait to see what people make of this one!!
Based on this, and NAD's recommendation for Formulas in the "epic death metal" thread, which one do you guys prefer - Formulas or Heretic?

Too early to tell, but you need Formulas just for Invocation of the Continual One. Fuck me that is a great song.

You have Altars and Domination, right? What do you think about each of those?

Altars of Madness is my least favorite, but it still kicks ass. I mean, it's Morbid Angel for fuck's sake. :)

Dreamlord said:
I must be the only person who found Morbid Angel somewhat boring.
Guaranteed. :)

Ali, you'll be happy with any Morbid Angel then. Even though they are all distinct from each other, if you love one you love them all. I read somebody's post once that said something like "Morbid Angel is the only band where each release is worse than the last, but I still love all of them."

To answer Ali's question, I prefer Formulas...

And Nad is right, "Invocation..." is a phenomenal song, plus I like the few tracks where Trey handles the vocals. I've read where he says that shit ripped his vocal chords apart...

My list for Morbid Angel would probably look like (keep in mind even the last listed I love....)

Blessed Are The Sick
Formulas Fatal To The Flesh
Covenant
Altars Of Madness
Heretic
Gateways To Annihilation
Domination

Oh and Entangled In Chaos is a great live album!

Let's dig this out of Babylon...

Recently we talked about Nile and their themes of Egypt (nubian history / demon cults / war gods etc), and the comparison to Morbid Angel in their take on Mesopotomia and Sumeria. (Actually we had a giggle in that neither band has visited either location, but anyway....)

Other than Mesopotomia and Sumeria being embedded between the Tigris and Euphrates, what is the historical context that Morbid Angel leverage? I'm not familiar enough with Morbid Angel's lyrics to know. Obviously there is something blasphemous about their lyrical content, but what's the connection between an area which was essentially just a trading post at the Persian gulf?

Can anyone enlighten me?

I once read an interview where Trey explained everything about it, but I don't really remember it that much.

http://www.morbidangel.com probably has a bunch of archived interviews, it was around the time that Formulas was released if I remember correctly. Damn site is down right now. Actually I just think it is my stupid Microshit curse in action, IE just refuses to even LOOK for websites at times. Fuck Microsoft, fuck them up their stupid asses. :)

There is a band called Melechesh - I think we have their new promo coming in the mail, "Sphynx". Anyway, they refer to their music as Mesopotamian Metal. I'm trying to find out what the heck this is. In their interview on Digital Metal, it's described as 'death metal with an oriental flavour'.

I'm not exactly Mr PC, but why do bands like Melechesh and even Orphaned Land get linked to an "oriental" sound? Isn't that incorrect since neither band are oriental (specifically Chinese), and are in fact from Jerusalem?

Sheesh, next thing you know you'll be wishing Happy Christmas to black people. :rolleyes: :lol:

Why is Mesopotamia being associated with oriental sounds? I've never heard either of those bands, but Melechesh sounds Yiddish.

Look buddy, I thought you were a Morbid Angel expert? I'm digging up stuff on the web - we're talking "Book of the Dead" referring to ancient Mesopotamia mythology. That's the whole invocation sheeyat. It's a whole can of worms - I figured someone here could give me the lowdown in a few lines, but oooohh no - looks like I'll have to actually read about this stuff myself.

And a merry Kwanza to you too muthafukka. :lol:

Pardon my hangover, my dog died yesterday and my head is not exactly straight. :erk:

Alright here's what I know. In the thank you section Trey has always had a little not the Ancient Ones or the Continual Ones, referring to Sumerian gods. On the first 4 studio albums there is usually one or two songs referring to said Sumerian gods, in a form of worship of sorts. Everything Trey does he claims to do for as a vessel for the Ancient Ones, those lyrics are just a bit of it in a blatant manner. Then on Formulas, he went full bore for them Sumerians. Probalby half the lyrics are actually sang in a Sumerian tongue (allegedly anyhow, I don't know Sumerian :tickled: ), and the whole album centers around the whole I Am, I Will, I Create triumverate. Whether or not that is a connection to the Sumerian gods, I'm not sure. With Gateways and now Heretic, the Sumerian bit is played down like the first four albums, but is still present.

Here's a good example, this is from Formulas. In the lyrics sheet, this is followed by prayers to the four cardinal directions which expands upon this ideas. It's been years since I've read them though, I'll look at them tonight and interpret or type them up or something.

11. Invocation Of The Continual One

[Vocals by Trey Azagthoth * Music Created in 1984]

Sacred night on the Eve of May
We gather before the stars
Taste the Hunger of the Fire
Vastness of the Continuum
Heretics of a way unseen
Celebrate, the Greatest of Means
Beelzebub, Lord of the Flies
By Your Hand the Zamanu dies

Drink, drink, the Blood of the Ancients
Me-Zu Me Pa-Ku-Ku-De-Hul
(Your Divine Ordering Principle is a Divine Order which manifests Itself with
Most Sweetness)

Star encircled with the Power-Names
We speak in the Broken Lines
Leviathan will open the Gate
To the Great Abyssous Planes
Feel the icing winds of the Ab-Zu
Sea below all seas
Leviathan, Serpent of Truth
Share with us Most Perfect Way

Call to the Earth, fortify our will
Come Air Spirits, be our eyes this night
Primal Flames are warmth to our souls
Waters of Life, Great Blessings You pour

Calling on Leviathan
Open the gate
Link us with the Wonder of the Abyss Planes so great
Lord of the rolling thunder
Celebrate with us this night
Rip away the veil
Hear our praise

Your Slumber is our Paradise
You smite our enemies down
For we, the few enlightened
Through Your Will we break our bonds
Lord Who shatters paradigms
From the rubble the New shall rise
Your Way presents death for them
The ME-GAL-GAL do we praise

Come Centaur
Those Who Prance to the Hymns of Truth
Come join us
Come Leviathan
Make passage of the Entrance we've
Prepared for You this night

Bil-At Kir-Zal Za-A-Kam Ki-Aga-Du
Kas-Du Da-Ra-Es Mu Ga Im-Mi-In
Nin-Ana-Si-Anna Ga Sa-Ga-Ar
Za-A-Kam Ne-Su-Ub-Du Ne-En-Mu Ga Sa-Ga-Ar

[Translation:]

Lady of Splendour, It is Thine Loving Embrace,
Sweet Nectar for which I forever thirst.
Heavenly Lady, I hunger.
It is Thine Kiss of Divinty for which I hunger.