Morbid Angel - Domination is the greatest death metal album EVER.

Henrik Main said:
Pick up Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten, much better than Pierced From Within.

Epic death metal ala Amon Amarth and peers isn't really my cuppa (although I do enjoy Nile, and have got all their full-lengths), but I suppose you could call Incantation - Diabolical Conquest epic (it's even got a 16 minute kick-ass song, a perfect climax for a close to perfect record). Immolation, too, can be called epic, I guess. Get Close To A World Below or Unholy Cult. Behemoth's latest offerings have been pretty epic too; check out Demigod, Zos Kia Cultus or Satanica if you're interested.

I would also recommend Decapitated - Nihility, Spawn Of Possession - Cabinet, Incantation - Onwards To Golgatha and Decimate Christendom, and Insision's "Revealed And Worshipped". Pretty brutal, but not quite as intense as Sepsism, Inveracity, Liturgy, Brodequin and the likes

Listen to this man, he speaks much truth. Insision, Sepsism, etc., fucking rule, but I don't think it's what your after. Try Decapitated's "Winds of Creation" in addition to the albums mentioned above and also, LISTEN TO FUCKING BEHEMOTH! Their studio efforts are good, but you should hear them live. Watched their DVD and it was destruction. If you only made it to track 3 on Zos Kia Cultus you essentially missed out on all of the albums best material. Refer to the "Vile Death Metal" thread to expand your brutal death metal collection if you want that as well, I know I learned about quite a few bands I didn't know about. Look into Rudra as well.

I still love death metal, but there are few newer DM bands that truly impress me. DM was the genre that I began with, though. Then I moved into other areas. However, there's nothing like a killer DM album.

Why are people crazy about Behemoth? I just don't get it. There is so much more better stuff out there.

J. said:
I still love death metal, but there are few newer DM bands that truly impress me. DM was the genre that I began with, though. Then I moved into other areas. However, there's nothing like a killer DM album.
Agreed. Death metal can always be counted on to display a giant FUCK YOU kick to the stomach, even amongst other extreme metal genres.
BloodStainedWalls said:
Dude, you werent One Inch Penis back in April?!
Huh, I guess the forum software finally updated to the new names? This thread said NAD just the other day.

Hey am I the only one bored silly by Black Seeds of Vengeance but think Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka and In Their Darkened Shrines are near masterpieces of death metal?

One Inch Man said:
Hey, am I the only one bored silly by Black Seeds of Vengeance but think Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka and In Their Darkened Shrines are near masterpieces of death metal?

Pretty much. I think all three of their efforts are very solid, Black Seeds Of Vengeance being their greatest release. "In Their Darkened Shrines" is easy to grow bored of if you listen to it way too much, I don't find that the two others share the same trait, but that's just me =)

Opeth17: :headbang: :kickass:

Nepren-Ka is boring to me. Darkened Shrines has Unas Slayer of Gods and Sarcophagus, which both rule, but other than those, meh.

Black Seeds rules supreme.

I think there's some confusion here as to what people think "epic" means. Actually, we had a thread called "Epic Death Metal" or something, and pretty much nailed it I think.

Put it this way, Suffocation and Behemoth are NOT epic at all IMO, although granted, "Demigod" does a much better job than "Zos Kia Cultus".

"Epic" should equal "larger than life", almost as if you're listening to compositions that suck you in, and create this new dimension around you. Remember, great music should draw you in, not come to you. Almost in the same way you watch a movie that engrosses you so much, everything else around you just disappears.

Nile's "Darkened Shrines" can do this. Aeternus' "And so the Night Became" can do this. Pestilence's "Testimony of the Ancients" can do this.

More loud and more noisy does not equal more epic. Indeed, Sepultura's "Beneath the Remains" is more epic than most stuff listed here already.

Yeah, yeah it's all subjective blah blah. Bollocks. :loco:

J. said:
Nepren-Ka is boring to me. Darkened Shrines has Unas Slayer of Gods and Sarcophagus, which both rule, but other than those, meh.

Black Seeds rules supreme.
Funny, since those two songs are my favorites by Nile. To me Nephren-ka is exciting, it's sounds like being fucked by a gaggle of crazy Nubian princesses and just moments after you nut, you are murdered in way most heinous by the Pharoah himself for banging all 16 of his daughters. Whoa, deja vu. Either in another life I really did this, or I described this album as such once before.

Maybe Black Seeds needs more time, unlike the other two full lengths I haven't listened to it a thousand times.

Dunno, Black Seeds was my first Nile album, so that may have something to do with it. But the title-track, Defiling the Gates of Ishtar, To Dream of Ur, and Masturbating the War God all rule.

I'll give Nephren-Ka some more listens.

Also, that release with the band's two early EPs is really good

Reactions: SonOfNun
Nile’s albums are often criticized for being monotonous, gimmicky brutal death metal but I find them to be pretty decent. They are very capable musicians and perhaps if they tone down the blasting beating and write more interesting songs like “To Dream of Ur” then they would far more awesome.

I forgot to mention Twin Obscenity. Their first two are good examples of blackened death metal done the epic way, all about vikings and heroic people doing heroic things in heroic times in heroic places.

Good stuff. The third one is underwhelming.