More awesome tone from Pod Xt.

Nitronium Blood

UM BOARDS' JESTER
Dec 28, 2001
Marchin' up and down the scqaiya.
Visit site
He goes on to mention:

"I used Curve EQ and then a waves L2 limiter on the guitars to really squeeze them.

I set the threshold so it limits no more than 3 to 4 dbs on palm mutes. That seems to give it a more in your face quality. No other EQ was used for the guitar tracks.

The master bus has a C4 and an L2 limiter.

I did not record via USB, just straight out of the POD with a balanced jack into a Delta 1010 card."

On the subject of the DFH drums sounding awesome:

"I used Voxengo Impulse modeler for the OH, AMB and Kick and Toms. The file is a freeware impulse called Masonic Lodge in the reverb pack 2 available on Voxengo.com.

The depth it adds to a kick is stunning.

The snare reverb is Dreamverb from the UAD-1 audio card. You'll have to pay a pretty penny for that one. Not sure if its worth the coin, but I sure like it a lot.

The bass has passive pickups. Its a late 70's fender p-bass with original electronics. It has one single humbucking pickup and it sucks. It seems to fit in the mix well though. "

yo that kid is fuckin sick! he pumps out some pretty nasty tunes from his pc. :worship: personally i'm not so much into his genre which has a lot of nu metal influences, but nevertheless, i can totally vibe with his vocals and the production is also pretty tight. he could put out an album if he just got it mastered. does anyone know his e-mail address?

kev said:
its a vst with a large sample library with hits from tomas haake from meshuggah

that I know :)...sonor drums..sonor snares, pearl birch snare...sabian cymbals...all very good..

but what I actually confuses me is...do you program the drums like a midi?
or is it sort of a "drumagog" function replacing drum sounds?

Sounds pretty good, the bass Guitar sounds a little lifeless to me though.

Kev: The Original was only the sample library. The Sampler VST program is with DFH2 and DFH Superior.

Funky Animal: You can do both, although you will need Drumagog or Aptrigga for the sample replacing. In Drumagog you can then route it to MIDI and thats where DFH (1, 2 or Superior) comes into play.

Funky Animal said:
that I know :)...sonor drums..sonor snares, pearl birch snare...sabian cymbals...all very good..

but what I actually confuses me is...do you program the drums like a midi?
or is it sort of a "drumagog" function replacing drum sounds?

Yeh, its more like battery perhaps-a program to do the triggering. You don't actually program any midi in it, you just link it to your audio program i.e. cubase and sort it from there.

No no no no no. I own all of these programs and the explainations you guys are giving are even confusing to me, lol.

Let me simplify it for you...

Drumkit From Hell is a library of samples. Samples meaning short clips of audio. In DFH there is a TON of these samples, right and left hand hits on the snare, toms, and l/r foot kick drum samples. Multiple velocities, velocities of course meaning how hard it's being hit, for every peice of the kit.

What you do is, you program drum beats using Cubase, or whatever you have that can sequence MIDI, and the MIDI triggers, or plays, what samples you programmed. Basically, there are say 30 or so lines in the map, the first line is the kick drum left, the second is kick drum right, third line is snare drum left, 4th line is snare drum right...and so on and so on until you have a complete kit mapped out. Say you program a few dots on line one, this will play back the kick drum exactly how you programmed it, then you can add snare drum where it's suppose to be, and it will trigger, or play, that where you programmed it, etc. etc.

Drumagog is different, you don't "program" it at all. You just set it up to "catch" the hits in the wavefile that you've already recorded, and it replaces those sounds with whatever drum samples you select. Basically it just replaces what was already there. Drumkit From Hell is programming drum beats from scratch.

Hope that helped. And that tone still kicks ass.

~006

kev said:
Im more impressed with the vocal than anything else!!!

He said it was an $89 Marshall [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]electronics large condenser into a Pro MPA tube preamp. No EQ or de-essing was used on the track. [/FONT]

Pretty impressive all around, aside from the weird pumping that's likely caused by the L2, and of course the shitty 128kbps mp3. I've downloaded his tone and I'm gonna give it a try later.