More Mesa Boogie Cab Discussion : Road King “Dual Cabinet” design

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Left side (2 x V30s) closed-back, right side (2 x C90s) open back...

Anyone tried it or recorded it ? How does it compare to Std or Trad Rectifier Cab ?

4x12StackFrontFacingLeft.jpg

4x12StackStraightRear.jpg

More infos...

Never tried a Road King cab, but I had a buddy that used to run 2 Mesa 2X12's in his rig...one with V30's and the other with the V90's in it and it sounded great.

I've tried the Road King 2x12, which has one V30 and one C90 in a 3/4 back cab with both a Rectoverb and Mark IV head. It sounds wonderful.

For those who aren't familiar with the Road King head, you can assign different outputs to each channel. With a stereo 4x12 designed like that, you can send your cleans to the C90 speakers and your dirty tones to the V30s, for example, and have essentially a closed back 2x12 and 1/2 back 2x12 in the same enclosure. The Road King is a wonderful piece of gear, more than just a 4 channel Recto. The assignable effects loops, outputs, and power tubes per channel are extremely cool. It's got at least as many knobs and switches on the back of the head as it does on the front, though.

I have a Road King 4x12 cab-- Fron a non-guru perspective, it sounds really good. Mesa Dual Rec Triple Channel pushing it. When I bought it (slightly used), it came with a felt covered back panel to put into the open back, so currently it's a closed back, with the option to be open.

I have no complaints!

We'll be recording with it soon, so if I remember, I'll review it.

it is very very awesome to say the least...

like you said it is both diff speakers and diff back designs...

it was designed to use with a road king head (which i also have) so for example i can have my clean channel goto the c90 open back side which works well for cleans it gives it space to breath.

the v30's work very well for distortion sound and they track a lot tighter.

i have some samples posted on this forum with the cab miced and now that i have a mark iv head i run it into the c90 side and i run the road king recto mode into the v30 side it sounds awesome. i slplit the signed via a whirlwhind and it sounds great played simultaneously. i haven't gotten a chance to track it yet but i'm sure it will sound phenomenal. it sounds better than a reg cab even with just one head considering it is 2 diff sets of speakers with open/closed back. makes for a great live room mix.

it's a great head. i can't imagine ever parting with it. series 2 has the better clean but what drew me to it was the ability to get a real dirty grindy nasty lead tone (boosted with ds1) in the ch2 brit mode with 2 el 34 and 2 6l6 it sounds absolutely great....

of course it doesn't have enough juice to be a lead sound in a metal song but considering i play a lot of like dream theater and whatnot progressive planet x type jazzy weird stuff it sounds great. my main lead voicing of course is channel 3 vintage on the RK and it is just pure creamy tone.