more on multiple guitar tracks

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I'm experimenting with doubling guitar tracks using the following method, and i'm curious to see if any of you have tried it.

1st track -- raw 5150 with heavy distortion and scooping the mids out entirely, just so you get the lows, maybe 100-200hz and below, and the hiss (good hiss that is) maybe around 9k and up.

2nd track -- 5150 with tube screamer and minimal 5150 distortion (say around 10:30-11 oclockish). Boost the mids a little here.

By doing this I've got a much clearer signal, something a la DHIADW. The main problem I've been getting is that by doing this, it clearly sounds like there are 4 guitars playing, which I don't want. I'm thinking of splitting the signal and recording just one guitar take so that the guitar tracks are tight and hopefully that will make it sound like only two guitars.

Anyway, maybe you guys have tried it, lemme know what you think.

you probably just get some nice phasing by recoding the same track through
different amp settings.
I tried something similar about a year ago. Split guitar signal into a Marshall 2550 and an Engl Fireball (both with Marshall 1960Lead 4x12" 50W Celestions) and one SM75
on each. Huge sound in the room but phasing issues all over the place on the tape.
I messed with it for about 2 hours and never tried it again.

I don´t want to steal this topic. I was thinking about creating a thread about multiple guitar tracks so i thought it could fit in here. Hope Genious Gone Insane don´t get offended :zipit:

I´m going to record my band´s demo so i´m making plans about the guitar sound. We own a engl fireball + marshall 1960 a + washburn guitar with floyd rose and emg 81. We play lamb of god / Chimaira style. I am going to buy a little labs red eye since i don´t even own a d.i. and the red eye is 3 in 1 ( d.i. + splitter + reamp box).

Assuming that our guitarrist is tight enough to record 4 guitar tracks, i guess it would be nice to have 2 engl fireball + 2 mesa boogie rectifier tracks (borrowed for a short period of time:just for reamping) . So i would record the signal dry and use the other signal into the fireball just for reference.

1 - He would play through the engl, so , when reamping the mesa boogie would there be a problem ? ( dynamics or style of picking ? since it would be a different amplifier... )

2 - Miking the cab with 2 mics ( sm57 + md 421 ) will give me phase problems for sure ? Is it the reason why Andy only uses one sm57 ?

thankx in advance