morningrise + bonus track

Punisher

New Metal Member
Mar 11, 2002
oslo........
Visit site
i just saw morningrise at amazon.com with a bonus track called "eternal soul torture". has anyone heard this song? was it written at the same time as the rest of the album? it doesn't sound very opethy... the name, that is. :eek:

In the inlay card for that reissue, I'll quote it for you:

"as an extra bonus for this reissue edition we have included a rare rehearsal track from 1992. the song, eternal soul torture was our "magnum opus" in those pre-recording days and it still has magic moments I'd say. It was later broken down into parts that was used in the opening track of this album [Advent]. Observe!

Mikael Akerfeldt 2000"

Thats from the inlay card!

its not bad, a bit scabby but a pretty good song. i love the mad "nanananananann" thing at the end (if u know what i mean)

It's cool to have the bonus track, but some might say it takes away from the overall "feel" of the whole "original" album. Anyway, its an Opeth Demo, and it sounds like a demo, but it is very cool to hear.

I think the song is pretty crappy. Primitive uninteresting death metal, which is not my cup of tea. I think I've only heard it once or twice. That might be to little to judge a song by, but there was nothing that cought me in that song, I more wanted to take the needle out of the grooves than let it play through. That's just my opinion. As I said in the thread about the vinyl issues of the first three records, I think all of the bonus tracks are pretty crappy. The only interesting is the Iron Maiden cover, but the original is better in my opinon.

Yep, that Iron Maiden song on MAYH is quite good...though, I have not heard it in its original format.

Generally, I wish they had not included the demos/extra songs on the re-releases...they should have stayed true to the original look with enhanced sound or whatever they do....just my opinion on the matter.

Now, just a thought; which has the better look? The Morningrise cover of the rerelease (with the band's logo on it) or the original cover without the logo? Personally, I don't mind either way (their logo actually adds a nice touch, which I wonder why they had not included it in the first place) but the original had better quality - the re-release, when I took a look at it at HMV, seemed somewhat pixelated. That kinda sucked...even the song titles at the back were a tad bit jagged - quite unfortunate, really....