Moshpits - yay or nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Nay!

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think moshing itself is actually kinda fun. I first tried it when punk was big back in the early 80's. I'll never forget my first experience because while moshing in the circle, I was knocked down, when I started to get back up somebody grabed my hand and pulled me up and I thought, damn, that was cool. It was all about fun, and it was fun. Now, don't get me wrong, they're not all like that. There's always an asshole in the crowd that f's it up for others. Don't let that one asshole speak for the entire mosh thing, those guys suck. Several times I've been to a MaidenS gig and a mosh breaks out. No biggie, just stay away from me. I don't want to mosh to maiden, I'd rather watch the ladies shred on stage. When the moshers get annoying to me, I just stick my elbows out and brace them. My thought, go ahead and take an elbow into the ribs.

Red Shirt said:
I think moshing itself is actually kinda fun. I first tried it when punk was big back in the early 80's. I'll never forget my first experience because while moshing in the circle, I was knocked down, when I started to get back up somebody grabed my hand and pulled me up and I thought, damn, that was cool. It was all about fun, and it was fun. Now, don't get me wrong, they're not all like that. There's always an asshole in the crowd that f's it up for others. Don't let that one asshole speak for the entire mosh thing, those guys suck. Several times I've been to a MaidenS gig and a mosh breaks out. No biggie, just stay away from me. I don't want to mosh to maiden, I'd rather watch the ladies shred on stage. When the moshers get annoying to me, I just stick my elbows out and brace them. My thought, go ahead and take an elbow into the ribs.

That's my tactic too!! :lol: :heh:

ok mybe I'm weird but I love the Mosh Pit.. Puckfiend can tell ya that.. I stand infront of him, so the pit is infront of me and I'm all thet ime slamming the guys back in. At the Zombie show there was this guy so thought he owned the place and everytime he came by me to hit into me, he got a my fist in his shoulder blade. but when Zombie started playing his older stuff, the next thing I knew I was standing behind Puckfiend cause all the guys got big :) But I love it!! Another story our first concert together, he took me to see Megadeth at the Grove in Anaheim, and I bout a new blouse and all to wear and by the time we left my poor blouse was torn from the pit.. hahahaha But if it gets tooo crazy I get behind Puckfiend :)

If you are a pussy and don't like Moshing thats fine. Go stand in the back of the pit. I agree moshing for Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and bands like that is a little rediculous.

But if you are going to an Anthrax, Testament, Exodus, Pantera, Slayer type show and are mad that people are Moshing you shouldn't be going. Thats what feeds the band. You are and old grump if you think other wise. I am 32 years old not some kid. I know that I can't hang in the pits like used to. But I still love watching it and seeing the intensity it brings to the show

I have played in many bands and we love looking out and seeing the crowd moshing and going fucking nuts.

There are many forms of Metal so to take my comments literally is rediculous. If you are going to glam rock shows like Motley Crue, Guns N roses, Def Leppard and people are moshing I see your point. It doesn't fit

Moshing is and will always be part of metal

I think we agree more than you think. At the right band, sure it will happen and so be it. I don't like it but I accept it

However as you said at a Maiden show it is out of place and you seem to agree it really is a nay at the wrong band. I go see Bad Religion I know what to expect and find a suitable place.

*meow*

Jim

for sure. I mean sometimes its cool to see a little moshing break out during number of the beast or fear of the dark, and Bruce has even said how he likes that and wants to see more young kids doing that for Iron Maiden up in the front.

None the less yes there is a time and place for moshing. But to say Moshing is stupid is rediculous. Its always been a part of extreme music and always will be. Do I want to get kicked in the head while watching Iron Maiden??" no way and yes I'd be pissed, but realistically how often does that happen during Iron Maiden?

when I go to see Slayer i would expect to be kicked in the head if i was up front

spideyjg said:
I think we agree more than you think. At the right band, sure it will happen and so be it. I don't like it but I accept it

However as you said at a Maiden show it is out of place and you seem to agree it really is a nay at the wrong band. I go see Bad Religion I know what to expect and find a suitable place.

*meow*

Jim

Hear fucking hear Jim!!!!! I know it'll happen, doesn't mean that I will ever like it.

And ironmaidenfan09, that "pussy" comment better not be directed at me just cos I don't like moshing. If you look at the poll, you are out fucking numbered!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

ironmaidenfan09 said:
how often does that happen during Iron Maiden?

So far at most Iron Maidens show there has been some. The most out of place was at Paladinos during Still Life. I mean come on, that is hardly and extreme song fer gods sake. :mad:

The worst was at the Galaxy the whole left side by Sara was a godamn rugby match all night.

Jim

Metallicat180 said:
Hear fucking hear Jim!!!!! I know it'll happen, doesn't mean that I will ever like it.

And ironmaidenfan09, that "pussy" comment better not be directed at me just cos I don't like moshing. If you look at the poll, you are out fucking numbered!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

LMAO chill out. Its a genralization. All im saying is that if you go to Thrash metal show and get mad about moshing you don't belong at the show.

I highly doubt you are going to have many problems with crazy circle pits at an Iron Maiden gig. If there IS moshing up front I garuntee you the band likes it and adds to their energy. Move back a few rows let the kids have their fun. you are only young once and good for them if they enjoy moshing to Iron Maiden. They key is that they are there to see Iron Maiden and Moshing is their outlet. Personally I think dudes that stand there in their tight black pants and leather jackets and head bang like its 1984 are hilarious. Either way you are not watching the show. But I don't complain when some dudes hair whips me in the face as I know he is enjoying himself and its all part of Metal just like moshing.

ironmaidenfan09 said:
LMAO chill out. Its a genralization. All im saying is that if you go to Thrash metal show and get mad about moshing you don't belong at the show.

I highly doubt you are going to have many problems with crazy circle pits at an Iron Maiden gig. If there IS moshing up front I garuntee you the band likes it and adds to their energy. Move back a few rows let the kids have their fun. you are only young once and good for them if they enjoy moshing to Iron Maiden. They key is that they are there to see Iron Maiden and Moshing is their outlet. Personally I think dudes that stand there in their tight black pants and leather jackets and head bang like its 1984 are hilarious. Either way you are not watching the show. But I don't complain when some dudes hair whips me in the face as I know he is enjoying himself and its all part of Metal just like moshing.

I don't get mad at people at the show, unless they actually hurt me cos I know it's gonna happen. I want to be as close to the band as possible so I'm gonna try for the front no matter what. And pits in Europe are a hell of alot different than the US, believe me!!! I'm sure Bruce loved it at the 2003 Glasgow show when half the fucking front row had to be taken out during the first song due to a crush from the moshpit behind them.

Metallicat180 said:
I don't get mad at people at the show, unless they actually hurt me cos I know it's gonna happen. I want to be as close to the band as possible so I'm gonna try for the front no matter what. And pits in Europe are a hell of alot different than the US, believe me!!! I'm sure Bruce loved it at the 2003 Glasgow show when half the fucking front row had to be taken out during the first song due to a crush from the moshpit behind them.

I doubt the Pits in Europe are much different. Maybe they mosh more for Iron Maiden in Europe. But if that is what people do you can't get mad at them for it. Like I said they are Maiden fans and that is how they show their emotion for the music. Just as you have the right at a metal show to head bang and whip your hair around. The PIT sections at a Metal show are typically pretty roudy. Yes Iron Maiden isn't your typical speed metal band but if people start moshing to Maiden its not THAT out of the realm. I have seen nice sized pits for Maiden, especially when Number of the beast comes on. I gotta admit its pretty electric and adds a lot of atmosphere to the show.

I hope you don't get hurt, bring someone to protect you. If not just stand back a few rows trust me it won't kill you :p

ironmaidenfan09 said:
I doubt the Pits in Europe are much different. Maybe they mosh more for Iron Maiden in Europe. But if that is what people do you can't get mad at them for it. Like I said they are Maiden fans and that is how they show their emotion for the music. Just as you have the right a show to head bang and whip your hair around. The PIT sections at a Metal show are typically pretty roudy. Yes Iron Maiden isn't your typical speed metal band but if people start moshing to Maiden its not THAT out of the realm. I have seen nice sized pits for Maiden, especially when Number of the beast comes on. I gotta admit its pretty electric and adds a lot of atmosphere to the show.

I hope you don't get hurt, bring someone to protect you. If not just stand back a few rows trust me it won't kill you :p

I'm nearly 6ft tall, I can hold my own in the pit thank you. I've been at the front for Donington which is one of the most brutal crowds in the world.

I'm suprised there's more votes against moshing but I guess if its reference places inaproprite for moshing, I kind of understand.

Some of you may be familiar with MWOBM faves Raven.The headlined the now legendary "Kill 'em All For One" Tour with Metallica opening back in '83.The whole Thrash Metal underground thing happened & Raven got lumped in with Thrash.So "Slam Dancing" as it wa scalled back then("Mosh" was a term created in the NYC Hardcore scene) crossed over into the thrash underground.Alot of hardcore punks began coming to thrash shows & thrash was often compared to punk with its ultra fast aggressive style.So Slammin' & Stage diving became a big part of the scene.
So Raven in '85 got signed to Atlantic & released the awful "Stay Hard" album that pretty much sabotaged their career.
On that tour they headlined the Kabuki Theater in San Francisco wich was breifly a hotbed for Thrash shows.A streak of classic Thrash shows in a row just happened there with Metallica,Exodus w/Megadeth,& Venom w/Slayer.

So Raven palyed there( I think with Laaz Rockit & some other heavy bands)It was a total thrash show,stage dive city & slammin'.Raven came on,The crowd was going off & they stopped the show & Mark Gallagher started going off onthe crowd berating them "Stop slam dancing this 'aint no bloody punk gig!"He went on to lecture it was a Heavy Metal show & if they wanted to slam dance,leave & go find a punk band.
Well,that proved disasterous as alot of the people that were slammin' turned on Raven & began spitting & throwing stuff at them.Alot of them left too.It's probably one of the things that hurt their career in addition to the more commercial direction they went into while on Atlantic.

It was pretty funny a few years later Raven headlined the video taping of the "Ultimate Revenge 2" concert with Dark Angel,Death,Faith or Fear & my bros in Forbidden.Mark Gallager was actually telling the crowd he wanted to see a pit!Sadly most of the crowd left after Dark Angel destroyed the place & the home video has crowd shots edited in to cover up how empty it was when they played.

Exactly Danny.
You are dead on that back in the early days "slam dancing" existed in punk not in "heavy metal" and as punk elements evolved into speed metal and thrash, "slam dancing/moshing" came with it.

Moshing was NEVER a part of "metal" in the earliest days but came in with other elements from punk.

I was at Priest on Screaming for Vengence, Maiden on Piece of Mind and no body could possibly say these were not metal shows and there was no moshing.

It is part of the metal scene now but not in the infancy that Schmidt and I saw when we were yewts.

Jim (42 year old fart) *meow*

spideyjg said:
Exactly Danny.
You are dead on that back in the early days "slam dancing" existed in punk not in "heavy metal" and as punk elements evolved into speed metal and thrash, "slam dancing/moshing" came with it.

Moshing was NEVER a part of "metal" in the earliest days but came in with other elements from punk.

I was at Priest on Screaming for Vengence, Maiden on Piece of Mind and no body could possibly say these were not metal shows and there was no moshing.

It is part of the metal scene now but not in the infancy that Schmidt and I saw when we were yewts.

Yes when Metal was first invented bands like Black Sabbath didn' have people moshing to it simply because it was not fast and agressive. Bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are certainly not Thrash metal, more melodic sing a long type bands.

There is a time and place for moshing. Something tells me everyone that voted against moshing is not into Thrash metal or doesn't attend extreme Metal shows.

ironmaidenfan09 said:
Yes when Metal was first invented bands like Black Sabbath didn' have people moshing to it simply because it was not fast and agressive. Bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are certainly not Thrash metal, more melodic sing a long type bands.

There is a time and place for moshing. Something tells me everyone that voted against moshing is not into Thrash metal or doesn't attend extreme Metal shows.

No, no and no. :rolleyes:

To an extent you are correct that some of us are into the different branches of metal that don't lend themselves to moshing.
Your earlier sweeping generalization,
If you strongly hate moshing i doubt you are that much into Metal music. It is part of the Metal culture.
is what is very wrong.

You read Schmidt, myself, and some other comments you will see some of us in fact are not into the thrash/death/speed metal that does encourage moshing.

You say we are not into metal at all, say moshing was always part of metal, which three of us old farts that were there in the beginning tell you it wasn't and you call us pussies because we don't mosh?
Was moshing probably always a part of thrash and speed metal as they evolved? I would say so. However thrash and speed were not the first "metal" and the first metal roots did not mosh. So to say it was always a part of the metal culture is 100% wrong. Is it ingrained now into some branches? Absolutley.

Yet you agree there is a time and place and some bands are not for moshing. Like I said many post back we probably agree more than you think.

Let me ask you do you think Still Life is a moshing song? That is one the Maidens asked me to shoot a clip when the debuted it at Paladinos and some mook tried to start a pit in that song slamming me into the stage and the props up front.
Was that the right time and place?

Jim *meow*

Ok, so moshing is a given for certain types of tunes. It is NOT ok for others. Either way, why do the asswipes (yes I said asswipes - there are more constructive ways to express yourself that doesn't hurt nor ruin the experience for others) who feel they need to mosh do it right in front? Do it in the back where the people who actually want to WATCH the show aren't. But no, not only do you want to jump around like fools, you have to ruin the experience for those who paid just as much as you did, but are actually there to see the band.

So in essence, if you are going to do it, do it in the back. Otherwise, the former bouncers (like me) who are there to see the show may get fed up and you will be the ones getting hurt. Call me a pussy. Call me old. Just don't piss me off... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

spideyjg said:

I only have a year on you so we're from the same era, how long you been playing the bass? I started guitar in 76 and switched to bass in 85, and never used a pick! not on the bass anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.