Most Artistic/Progressive/Experimental Albums You Own

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
What are the most artistic, experimental, "out-there", progressive, etc. albums you own?

In this realm, basically all Avant-Garde is extremely weird and artistic. Some to name:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History

A very innovative and experimental band from Oakland, California. They use several homemade instruments in there music. People who like both Metal and RIO/Avant-garde music will love it immediately. If you mind some Metal or high-pitched female vocals check it out first. Any adventurous listeners should give it a spin at least.
Line-up/Musicians:

- Nils Frykdahl / guitars, flute, voice
Matthias Bossi / drums, glockenspiel, xylophone, voice
- Dan Rathbun / bass, log, roach, trombone, lute, voice
- Moe! Staiano / metal, wood, bowed spatula, glockenspiel, spring, paper
- Carla Kihlstedt / violins, percussion guitar, autoharp, organ, voice
- Frank Grau / drums, melodica

You can listen to the full album on Last.fm.

Kayo Dot
- Choirs of the Eye

They're an Avant-Garde Post-Metal band from Boston. They originated from the Prog Metal band Maudlin of the Well. They combine Jazz music and other eclectic styling with post-metal. Some parts are extremely cacophonous.

Line-up/Musicians:

- Toby Driver / guitar, vocals, cello
- Sam Gutterman / drums
- Nicholas Kyte / bass, vocals
- Greg Massi / guitar, vocals
- Mia Matsumiya / violin, viola
- Terran Olson / clarinet, flute, piano, keyboards, saxophone
- Benjie Messer / trumpet
- Sam Minnich / french horn
- Adam Scott / trumpet

You can't listen to this album but you can listen to the full
Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue album on Last.fm.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Butcher's Ballroom

DSO is probably the most eclectic band I've ever heard. They're from Sweden. They are led by a female singer who uses very operatic, powerful vocals. The music ranges from all different genres from metal/rock to classical, swing, funk, and flamenco... anything they think sounds good. It's a real "fuck you" to people obsessed with genre classification.

Line-up/Musicians:

- Daniel Håkansson / guitars, vocals
- Pontus Mantefors / guitars, fx
- Annlouice Loegdlund / vocals
- Andy Johansson / bass
- Johannes Bergion / cello
- Andreas Halvardsson / drums

uneXpect - In a Flesh Aquarium

A very heavy, extreme avant-garde metal band from Quebec, Canada. It's one of the weirdest albums I've ever heard. The musicianship is fantastic as well as the song writing. The only downfall is that occasionally, it sounds like they are simply playing 3 different songs on top of each other. I highly suggest them to anybody seeking a serious challenge or shock from their musical diet. ;)

Line-up/Musicians

- Syriak / guitars, vocals
- ChaotH / bass
- Leïlindel / female vocals
- Artagoth / guitar, vocals
- ExoD / keyboards
- Le Bateleur / violin
- Landryx / drums

You can listen to most of the album at Last.fm.

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Another extreme Avant-Garde band. They are also from Norway. Though they don't use de-tuned guitars or grunting vocals, it is some of the most grotesque music I have ever heard. For the record, Arcturus is in the top 10 for my all time favorite bands. This is their weirdest album though all of their records are quite experimental.

Line-up/Musicians

- Jan Axel Von Blomberg / drum
- Hugh Steven James Mingay / bass
- "Garm" Wolf / vocal
- Knut M. Valle / guitars
- Steinard "Sverd" Johnsen / keyboards
- Simen "ICS Vortex" Hestnaes / guest vocals

Jake

Heaps but I'm listening to "The Velvet Underground" whose first 4 albums are mandatory. Certainly one of the most influential experimental rock bands, and probably the best I've heard.

Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Scholomance - The Immortality Murder

Doesn't come close to the "avant-gardness" of the bands mentioned above, but they're probably the most experimental that I own, which actually isn't saying much now that I think about it.

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
Univers Zero - Heresie
Vulture Industries - The Dystopia Journals

I find these to be rather "avant-garde", a lot of the others in my collection have all ready been mentioned.

Current 93 are currently weirding me out. Awesome 'neo-folk'.. Very dark and strange.

I could think of weirder bands.. But i'm in love with their album 'All The Pretty Little Horses'.

yeah, kayo dot, but I don't own any of their albums, I've heard them though

Ulver- Blood Inside
Caribou- The Milk of Human Kindness (their newest album Andorra is great, check them out)
Deathspell Omega- Fas- Ite Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum
any Mars Volta album
someone already said Scott walker

how is trying to sound exactly like arcturus avant-garde?

You do have a point there (I'm assuming you're talking about Vulture Industries). The only discernible difference really is Vulture Industries is a bit more groove based than Arcturus. But on their own, VI are what you'd call Avant-Garde (Metal).

Some of these I think have been already said... so sorry.

Negura Bunget - OM

Progressive black metal from Romania. Awesome album, awesome band. Check it out!

Line-up/Musicians

- Hupogrammos / Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards, Pipes (Nai, Fluiere), Horns (Tulnic, Bucium), Synth
- Negru / Drums, Percussions, Xylophone, Wooden Plate (Toacă)
- Sol'Faur / Guitars, Keyboards

Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Probably one of if not my all time favorite Black Metal albums. Some very weird, progressive stuff in that one. I only have 2 full lengths and one EP of theirs but they're all great. The musicianship and songwriting ability is very, very high... which is very, very rare for black metal. ;) DSO's a weird band. They're supposedly from France. On their albums they don't credit anyone... themselves, the album artist, producers, anything. No one knows their identity. I wish they'd reveal themselves and go on tour, I'd kill to see them live.

Line-up/Musicians

UNKNOWN

Ulver
- Perdition City (Music To An Interior Film)

Ulver started out as a prog black metal band but has been purely a post-rock project for about 13 years. This is one of those post-rock albums. It's very experimental, if less heavy/extreme than the others. They're from Norway.

Line-up/Musicians

- Kristoffer Garm Rygg (aka Garm, Trickster G.) / vocals
- Jørn H. Sværen / drums
- Tore Ylwizaker / programming
- Håvard Jørgensen / session electric guitars
- Bård Eithun / session v-drums (5)
- Ivar H. Johansen / session drums (9)
- Kåre J. Pedersen / session drums (2)
- Rolf Erik Nystrøm / session saxophone (1 & 7)
- Øystein Moe / session electric bass guitar (1)

Scott Walker - The Drift

A weird, weird album that's very hard to describe. To place it in a genre... avant garde - singer/songwriter/rock?

Line-up/Musicians

I maybe wrong but I believe Scott Walker recorded everything on the album.

Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun

Not as experimental/progressive as the above but VERY artistic. It's a beautiful masterpiece. They're a post-rock band from Iceland.

Line-up/Musicians

- Jónsi Birgisson / vocals, guitars
- Georg Holm / bass
- Ágúst / drums
- Kjartan Sveinsson / keyboards

Oceansize - Frames

I think that fans of PORCUPINE TREE, GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR!, PINEAPPLE THIEF and RADIOHEAD could connect well with this band, but they have a very original sound and vocal style, so I would check them out if you are a general fan of Space/Experimental Rock. This album is quite experimental.

Line-up/Musicians

- Mark Heron / drums, percussion
- Gambler / guitar, keyboards
- Steven Hodson / bass, keyboards, cymbals
- Mike Vennart / vocals, guitar
- Steve Durose / guitar, vocals

Guest Musicians:
- Paula Simpson / violin
- Justin Lingard / viola
- Semay Wu / cello

Nothing too out there for me really, but Thrice's Alchemy Index would be my choice. 4 cd's, each of an element, but what makes it experimental is really how different they made each disc sound, completly different genre's just about. With that said, it's really not -way- out there by any means, but very enjoyable and experimental in its own right.