Most common SSLG Comp Settings. (driving me nutz)

Sep 26, 2011
So for the last year or so I think the most common or "used" setting on my master with the SSLcomp is 4:1 30ms Att and Auto Release.. Now I think the second most used setting is 2:1 30ms Att and .1

The other day I was opening up old projects and also just trying uploaded projects from here and applying different settings and I got a weird result. I'm not sure if was my 2-5am ear fatigue but between .1 release and Auto I kept hearing .1 sounding more open on most of em (I guess that makes sense but it's not always the better "thing") and Auto kind of kept more in ..but kinda sounding boxed at times yet I was more comfortable with it. Now I don't know if it's cause that's what I almost always have on the Master but only on some songs at a certain point switching between release times and ratios, eventually when I adjusted the threshold accordingly to get 4db of Gr I barely heard a difference.

Now mainly my question is has that happened to you? Mind you I haven't been at the studio to try this with fresh ears but before I get home I'm also wondering whats the most "Used" setting on your comp and why? and do you think there's a big difference between 4db of Gr on different settings? thanks again! :loco:

For the most part when I use the SSL comp I have a 4:1 ratio 30ms or 10ms attack and I never use auto release. I feel like you are right about .1 attack sounding more open because that is how I feel about it too. You may have to mess with it some more in the studio because I don't even use that compressor anymore haha.

Your settings should reflect what the mix needs. I switch between 2 and 4:1, all kinds of different attacks and releases depending on what the mix needs. There's a reason you are given a choice of values to use.

With rock, I'd start with 2 or 4:1 and 30ms attack but adjust to what your mix needs. Sometimes faster attacks can work really well, sometimes a lower ratio is cool. The release is so important, auto release generally works well but sometimes you'll want something quick.

The god settings that all hte big guys use on it is 4:1 attack 10ms auto release. you can adjust attack and release if you want to the song but that works best with metal/hardrock i'm pretty sure that CLA and for sure andy wallace use that setting only on them. the auto release has two releases a quick one for fast transients and a slow one for.. well long transients. i wouldn't change to either 2:1 or 10:1.

here's a reason you are given a choice of values to use.

And that's been my mindset so far. Only thing is If I switch settings & Ratios on a completed song of course the one I had laid my tracks down and mixed with will be the best sounding one. But what I'm finding is (could very well be ear placebo) not sure that's why I'm seeking opinions; but I'm finding if I take that song and re record it and mix it from lets say 4:1 30ms att and Auto Rel
To 2:1 30ms and .1 Release but keep the GR kissing 4db I'm not hearing a slight or heavy "pumping" in fact they kind of breathe the same and sound very very similar, and it's at that point I'm getting a little fatigued. But 4:1 30ms and Auto has been my default unless the tempo of the song really calls for it.

Auto release tends to glue more, whereas 100ms often sounds more pumpy and open. The former I find to generally be more 'musical' across a wider variety of content, whereas the latter is more aggressive and perceptibly 'louder'. That being said, I haven't changed from 30ms/Auto 4:1 in years.

PS. Auto release is generally amenable to higher amounts of gain reduction, whereas 100ms will turn into a pumpy mess rather quickly.

I am either on 2:1 10ms/Auto Release (really gluey but sometimes too "closed" sounding, depending on the style of mix) or 10:1, 10/30ms, fastest release with hardly any gain reduction (this setting is really punchy and open). In general when using 100ms release you can't go with as much as 4db of compression I think as it will get really pumpy. More like in the 1-2 db range.

It depends what your desired outcome is ultimately. Do you want glue? Some slight pumping to make the mix livelier? Make the mix more aggressive sounding? Control the dynamics of the songs a bit?

I usually use VBC as it works in a variety of situations pretty well. Sometimes the hiss annoys me a little though. The duende buss comp is great too, it's more snappy than VBC but it doesn't have the same low end weight to it. It's a cool alternative flavour. The glue is another good alternative, more transparent than the others and the additional controls can be very useful.

The sometimes the quick releases can be fun for an aggressive sound, for rock stuff 30ms can be the most subtle on the attack side but sometimes 10 or even faster can work. Obviously have to be careful with it but it's definitely got a use.

Thanks guys I appreciate it, I guess I feel a bit better for sticking with the most popular approach. It's funny I've either used Auto or .1 I've never found use for any other release cause to me it got too pumpy but I'll definitely play around. As long as the source material and mixing is quality I don't think I can screw it up that bad if it "sounds good/right" with the settings I choose.