Master Comp GR!?!

The glue is great !
I find the sound when using it compared to the waves version more "tight".. where the waves is more rounded.

I use both and switch depending on what I want.

I agree that the Waves SSL sounds more round or smooth, but after tried out the Glue trial version for a few days... I just feels that it is a tad too transperent.

Good to hear 'The Glue' has come a long way.

When it was first released and people were raving about it, it sounded like shit. I always ended up picking it as the worst sounding in 3 way blind Waves SSL - Hardware SSL - The Glue shoot-outs. I always felt The Glue was too transparent and didn't serve the role I wanted as a bus compressor.

I've always found the Waves SSL comp to sound remarkably alike to the hardware, albeit with less density and a propensity to make the mix sound 'small' at high GR settings. I still do all my rough mixes/bounces with it on the master bus.

A lot of the time I've found people love to jump onto 'new' things, simply because they're new. They rarely take into account that the old stuff might.... just maybe... actually sound better :)

I usually mix into Waves SSL

Attack: 30
Release: Auto
GR: 8db

I remember an interview where a popular engineer said he hit the ssl up to 8db. Tried it and worked perfect.

That's really hard!!
I never seem to get software comp to sound good on the master with more than 6 GR. Waves SSL sounds often sounds really weird with more than 4 GR.
But I usually have lesser attack.
API 2500 in paralell compression on master is a really good comp for some stuff.

Is it just me or is anyone losing stereo image running high amounts of gain reduction on the master buss. Is this a software problem, my problem or a consequence of high gain reduction.

Is it just me or is anyone losing stereo image running high amounts of gain reduction on the master buss. Is this a software problem, my problem or a consequence of high gain reduction.

I think this depends on the compressor itself and on how you're compressing, as in, are you doing high GR as you start mixing or at the end of the mix? Because if you're doing it at the end of the mix then yeah, it makes sense, but I never had problems with loosing stereo image while doing very high GR (6-8) at the start of a mix

This is a normal part of running a buss compressor in stereo because the volume difference between the two sides is lessened, which narrows the stereo "spread" of the mix.

Running the compressor in dual-mono can help this situation a bit.

Here's a question for you guys - when you're mixing into a master bus comp right from the get-go, how do you avoid having to constantly go into the comp and make sure the GR is where you want it to be? (since I'd imagine all the level, eq, comp., clipping, etc. decisions you make on the individual tracks would affect the overall GR on the MBC). Seems like it would get annoying having to readjust the threshold after most mix changes

Here's a question for you guys - when you're mixing into a master bus comp right from the get-go, how do you avoid having to constantly go into the comp and make sure the GR is where you want it to be? (since I'd imagine all the level, eq, comp., clipping, etc. decisions you make on the individual tracks would affect the overall GR on the MBC). Seems like it would get annoying having to readjust the threshold after most mix changes

I usually have GClip taking off just a little bit before the compressor, then again afterwards. But I don't usually put anything on the master bus til the mix is really coming together.

I generally use PSPMixPressor on the Master bus. Really cool compressor, but you can only have about 1-1.5 (sometimes even less) GR before it starts pumping a lot.

Just get a basic mix up and running (maybe drums/bass/guitar) and set the comp how you want it, then forget the comp and continue mixing. It's normal to bring up the comp every now and then to make minor adjustments, but the idea is that the compressor is influencing your mix decisions, and can often help glue a mix together more quickly and require less automation, individual compression, etc. It's not for everyone but it can be a great way to mix, and it's a good technique to harness the "glue" of a compressor without the difficulties and artifacts that can occur when compressing a finished mix.

I always keep a comp on my master buss and mix into that. Nothing too extreme, though. Just enough to give it a little bit of gel. 2:1 ratio, fast attack and release set to the temp of the song (60,000/BPM). I find that mixing into the comp gives me a better feel as to where everything is going to sit in the end and makes it seem a bit more "finished", if you will. Once that mix is done then I add the G-Clip, Ozone, etc, to finalize it.