Most drastic change by a Metal band

LuminousAether said:
KMFDM have had industrial metal songs, such as Spit Sperm, Brute, and Flesh.

Rammstein are industrial metal, they are a metal band.
Yeah, I know. What I was saying is that there is still some metal in Atrocity's music now, though it is much more refined. KMFDM do have some pretty metallish songs, like Drug Against War and Search And Destroy, and Rammstein definitely have lots of metal riffs in their music. But those bands are thought of as industrial, and not metal bands. And Atrocity is basically like those bands now - a far cry from the dark, technical death metal they used to play.

Neither do Mayhem. Grand Declaration of War has one song which could be construed as industrial, nothing "gay techno" about it at all.

Also, Rammstein and KMFDM are not considered industrial. They have guitars, they cannot be considered industrial. Industrial is electronics + experimentation. Once you add guitars, it becomes either coldwave (industrial rock) or industrial metal.

My definition of "gay techno" is indeed very loose, and it may not fit yours, but I think you got my point when I said that both Mayhem and Ulver had transformed from the two of the best bands ever to it. You may call it industrial metal, coldwave, ambient, mommy, brown underwear or whatever the fuck you want, but I'm still calling it gay techno.

Ulver, yes, Mayhem no. Grand Declaration of War had very minimal electronic influences, only on the hidden first track, the forementioned industrial related track, and some effects in other songs such as the really long song towards the end with the electronics-tinged outro. The rest of the album, a good 75-80% at least is technical black metal. Mayhem pre GDoW sucked, except Wolf's Lair Abyss was pretty good. GDoW was a fucking amazing album, the first Mayhem album that I can feel good about liking.

Black Sabbath, they started out as Bluesy, long songed jam style band, then a lot of changes occurred, such as acquiring Dio, playing more pop like songs (I mean shorter and often not as dark and brooding) and so on.

Rush. When they began they were guitar heavy straight up rock, then you go look at Grace Under Pressure and keyboards take the stage.

Judas Priest. Compare Living After Midnight to Painkiller, nuff said.

King Crimson. While they may not be metal...my god did they ever change.

LuminousAether said:
Neither do Mayhem. Grand Declaration of War has one song which could be construed as industrial, nothing "gay techno" about it at all.

Also, Rammstein and KMFDM are not considered industrial. They have guitars, they cannot be considered industrial. Industrial is electronics + experimentation. Once you add guitars, it becomes either coldwave (industrial rock) or industrial metal.

I've been waiting for this for a longtime... Incorrect Luminous, having guitars doesn't automatically make something not industrial, Throbbing Gristle and Einsturzende Neubauten had guitarists, and if you want a more recent example... Skinny Puppy use guitars.

to stay on topic though I've got one that hasn't been brought up yet...
Summoning

TG and EN didn't use guitars that prominently, and not all the material of a band has to be industrial. A lot of recent EN I would not call industrial.

Skinny Puppy used sampled and filtered guitars for the most part, which was rather rare, except for their two non industrial albums (Rabies and The Process) which were industrial rock.

Cephalic Carnage

Lucid Interval to Halls of Amenti, hydro-grind or whatever they call themselves to pure heavy as fuck doom. Though it's not the best example as the albums were released within months of each other, or possibly even at the same time. The only thing I could think of that hasn't been said yet.

And Ulver and Mayhem are not gay techno.

"Cephalic Carnage

Lucid Interval to Halls of Amenti, hydro-grind or whatever they call themselves to pure heavy as fuck doom. Though it's not the best example as the albums were released within months of each other, or possibly even at the same time. The only thing I could think of that hasn't been said yet."

Halls of Amenti is part a 3 disk doom series being put out on Willowtip records. The band did not change styles and is not going to. The second Doom will be put soon on Willowtip and there 4th fullength will be put on Relapse Records.

Personally I fucking hate GDoW, but I see that you don't. Nice for you.
I think that album lacks ALL of the feeling found in De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, the album I consider the best one ever.

I listen to GDoW every now and then, thinking "it's MAYHEM, it can't be as bad as I remember it", but I'm always wrong, and that makes me hate it even more.
The new album, "Chimaera", I ahve high hopes for, though. My hopes will probably be crushed when I get to hear it, but still they remain, but they (mayhem) says it will be much more back-to-basics and brutal than GDoW. I will continue calling it gay techno wether you like it or not.

Living Inside said:
"Cephalic Carnage

Lucid Interval to Halls of Amenti, hydro-grind or whatever they call themselves to pure heavy as fuck doom. Though it's not the best example as the albums were released within months of each other, or possibly even at the same time. The only thing I could think of that hasn't been said yet."

Halls of Amenti is part a 3 disk doom series being put out on Willowtip records. The band did not change styles and is not going to. The second Doom will be put soon on Willowtip and there 4th fullength will be put on Relapse Records.
:erk:

What a puzzling statement. In either case, it is (as you admit) a style change, albeit a temporary one.