Most significant metal releases

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
In my opinion, of course, but I'm interested in your views of the most significant, influential and important metal releases...not a favorites list!

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath...of course

Stained Class-Judas Priest...I think this album separated and defined the genre

Melissa-Mercyful Fate...first real in your face evil

Kill 'em All-Metallica...most important moment in thrash

2112-Rush...early epic concept album

Images and Words-Dream Theater...an original with many imitators to follow

Speak English or Die-SOD...hardcore+metal+humor...an original concept

For guitarists

Van Halen-Van Halen...Eruption, nuff said...changed the approach to the instrument forever

Bizzard of Ozz-Ozzy...introduction of Randy Rhoads

Rising Force-Yngwie Malmsteen...first full neo classical shred release

I'm sure there's lot's more.

Momo said:
There's one Glaring Omission on your list for significant releases.

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Momo

I thought about it...what in your opinion is the significance of the release?...I couldn't come up with anything specific...if it was released a few years earlier, I would have included it.

Actually forgot Welcome to Hell-Venom

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. The first metal release. This album changed music forever.

Judas Priest- Sad Wings of Destiney. Priest's original classic.

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast. Dickinson's debut with the gods. Absolute classic.

Metallica - Ride The Lightning. While MoP may be their most praised album (and AJFA my personal fav) this albums significange cannot be denied.

Slayer - Reign In Blood. DUH! This thrash classic totally changed the metal landscape, being a huge influence on death metal.

Possessed - Seven Churches. See above.

Venom - Black Metal. Classic shit here. Huge influence on many black metal bands. (despite not being a BM album)

Mercyful Fate - Melissa/Don't Break The Oath. ^above

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger. Defnitive Norweigen BM

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Yes - 90125 - Alternative music before there was alternative
Jethro Tull - Aqualung - He used a fuckin' flute!
Sacred Reich - Ignorance
S.O.D. Speak English or Die. - I refuse to explain
Charged GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats - Hardcore the right way.
Destruction - Infernal Overkill
Led Zeppelin - II
Exciter - Violence and Force

Alice Cooper.......Love it to Death.....:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Started me OFF
MegaDeth..........Peace Sells...........:headbang: :headbang: Opened my eye's to life other than Metallica.
M.O.D...............U.S.A for M.O.D.....:headbang: Just totally got it :worship: .
and a special mention to
Suicidal Tendencies should've got a lot more respect with all their early work.

PEACE, TOAST AND MARMITE & A NICE CUPPA ROSIE, CARTOON NETWORK ON TO FUCKIN LOUD!!!!

Oblivious Maximus said:
You mean Chase the Dragon? I never heard anyone mention Magnum in so long. Nice :)

Yup...sorry...Chase the Dragon...my bad...it was a long day...I love that album...I saw them open for UFO and Ozzy back in '82 or '83. :headbang:

First three Celtic Frost albums.

Coroner- No More Color (remember all the people that used to wear Coroner shirts?)

Great to see Exodus and Sacred Reich represented. The latter is rereleasing their stuff.

Watchtower

Death- take your pick, honestly.

Early Candlemass

Megadeth- Rust in Peace

Iron Maiden - "Iron Maiden" - a step in the right direction after years of dinosaur rock. Fresh and ballsy. Still sounds good today.

And I guess, "NOTB" - a step up in class and sales, Maiden were on their way, and becoming accepted as seriously good business.

Metallica - "Metallica". Like it or not, regardless of what they have done since, this was the release that took Metallica into superstardom, mega-sales, they went from being a Heavy Metal band called Metallica, to being Metallica the household name.

Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark at the Moon" - Ditto. This was when Ozzy became "the legendary wild-man of rock" as opposed to being "the former Black Sabbath vocalist" (in the eyes of the public-at-large, rather than us lot, of course!)

Slayer - "Reign in Blood". Listen to "Hell Awaits" then "Reign.." What a difference in sound quality, listen to the riffing, feel the ferocious aggression, what happened, it's like 2 different bands? It sounds like someone kicked them in the nuts and told them he had fucked their mothers. Up the arse.
A definite step up, making "thrash" (or whatever you want to call it) less of a niche market.

Van Halen - 5150. Once again, no comment on the content, but significant for showing there was life after DLR, at a crucial point after the mainstream exposure from "Jump" etc. Changing a front-man then should have been the kiss-of-death, but they pulled it off.

Guns 'n' Roses - "Use Your Illusion". 2 LPs, midnight releases, long queues to get it, string sections, mega-budgets, grand pianos, power-mad Axl, riots, etc etc. And they (well, he) still have to follow it. We are waiting.......( well, I'm not, but you know)

Iron Maiden - "Iron Maiden" - a step in the right direction after years of dinosaur rock. Fresh and ballsy. Still sounds good today.

And I guess, "NOTB" - a step up in class and sales, Maiden were on their way, and becoming accepted as seriously good business.

Metallica - "Metallica". Like it or not, regardless of what they have done since, this was the release that took Metallica into superstardom, mega-sales, they went from being a Heavy Metal band called Metallica, to being Metallica the household name.

Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark at the Moon" - Ditto. This was when Ozzy became "the legendary wild-man of rock" as opposed to being "the former Black Sabbath vocalist" (in the eyes of the public-at-large, rather than us lot, of course!)

Slayer - "Reign in Blood". Listen to "Hell Awaits" then "Reign.." What a difference in sound quality, listen to the riffing, feel the ferocious aggression, what happened, it's like 2 different bands? It sounds like someone kicked them in the nuts and told them he had fucked their mothers. Up the arse.
A definite step up, making "thrash" (or whatever you want to call it) less of a niche market.

Van Halen - 5150. Once again, no comment on the content, but significant for showing there was life after DLR, at a crucial point after the mainstream exposure from "Jump" etc. Changing a front-man then should have been the kiss-of-death, but they pulled it off.

Guns 'n' Roses - "Use Your Illusion". 2 LPs, midnight releases, long queues to get it, string sections, mega-budgets, grand pianos, power-mad Axl, riots, etc etc. And they (well, he) still have to follow it. We are waiting.......( well, I'm not, but you know)

5150 and Use Your Illusion:zombie: ...nothing influential there...I don't see that at all...sorry...same with Bark at the Moon...it's just 80's metal...nothing ground breaking there.

In my opinion, of course, but I'm interested in your views of the most significant, influential and important metal releases...not a favorites list!

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath...of course

Stained Class-Judas Priest...I think this album separated and defined the genre

Melissa-Mercyful Fate...first real in your face evil

Kill 'em All-Metallica...most important moment in thrash

2112-Rush...early epic concept album

Images and Words-Dream Theater...an original with many imitators to follow

Speak English or Die-SOD...hardcore+metal+humor...an original concept

For guitarists

Van Halen-Van Halen...Eruption, nuff said...changed the approach to the instrument forever

Bizzard of Ozz-Ozzy...introduction of Randy Rhoads

Rising Force-Yngwie Malmsteen...first full neo classical shred release

I'm sure there's lot's more.

Very Good selection covered important ground there :kickass:

I would add

Racer X Street lethal

Scorpions Taken by Force

Symphony X the divine wings of tragedy

Cacophony Speed Metal Symphony

UFO Strangers in the night

Very Good selection covered important ground there :kickass:

I would add

Racer X Street lethal

Scorpions Taken by Force

Symphony X the divine wings of tragedy

Cacophony Speed Metal Symphony

UFO Strangers in the night

I like your choices, but I'd be interested in a brief explaination of why you feel they are significant.

Legends.....

Death-Symbolic
Emperor-Anthems to the welkin at dusk
Mercyful Fate-Melissa
King Diamond-Abigail
Black Sabbath-Sabbath bloody Sabbath
Bathory-Blood Fire Death
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
Judas Priest-Painkiller
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Slayer-Show no Mercy/Hell awaits
Metallica-Ride the Lightning
Venom-Black metal

Legends.....

Death-Symbolic
Emperor-Anthems to the welkin at dusk
Mercyful Fate-Melissa
King Diamond-Abigail
Black Sabbath-Sabbath bloody Sabbath
Bathory-Blood Fire Death
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
Judas Priest-Painkiller
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Slayer-Show no Mercy/Hell awaits
Metallica-Ride the Lightning
Venom-Black metal

Powerslave and Painkiller...both great albums...but how are they significant?