Most useful shortcuts of Reaper

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I'm currently searching ways to improve my workflow on reaper. The fact is I've never used shortcuts on reaper.

This would be cool if people would share best shortcuts, and also what they're used to do on the keyboard rather than with the mouse (let's say for example zooming or moving around). I mean, what is really useful in improving the workflow, cause they're is no point one could learn all of them.

General tips are welcome

That would allow people to discover some new useful shortcuts, tips or advices.

my personnal all-day use :

- "m" to add markers
- double clic behavior : set loop markers at each side of the object (instead of opening the editing sofwtare)
- use pad arrows to move selected object to other tracks
- put "bass"/"guitars"/"drums"/ etc folders and right clic on the mixer, select "group folders to the left" so that your busses are on the left of the mixer, cool to check relative volumes
- if you use a midi controller, as I do to control a strip channel vst plug, create your basic fx chain with your "go to" plugs (for me its a channel strip that I put on every track). Open the plug, and when using the "learn" function, tick "enable only when track or item is selected". Finally save the fx chain as default" This way your controller controls the strip when the track is selected, and when you create a new track, it adds the strip automatically with the midi mapping already up. When you move your faders or knobs, it will change the parameters of your strip on the selected track only.

When doing automation you can just make the envelope visible and then click and drag the points around instead of having to mess with it while recording/playing back. Very useful

again, one of the tips you have to know on reaper : on the mixing board where there are inserts for vst :

- clic : add an Fx
- maj clic : on/off an Fx
- alt clic : remove an Fx
- clic drag and drop : copy an Fx with its settings

there is an option in the preferences where you can choose between a few behaviors for the double clic on an object. At first it is "open object in editor" but you can change it to "loop point surround it", not sure if it places the cursor at the beginning