How to mimic Elastic Audio in Reaper

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Discovered this by accident today. I guess when they implemented the ability to easily trim two items next to each other without having both selected this behaviour happened as a by-product. Totally fucking awesome!

http://vimeo.com/11258610

Like I say in the video, it's a little more work than in Pro Tools where all of the warp markers are generated automatically and quantizing the "warp markers" in Reaper is a bit more complicated (can be done though, I can add a video of that as well) but it's all there. I actually like this method, using my mouse over split macro it is ridiculously quick and easy to add these "markers" anyways.

As soon as I finish my overlay behaviour macros I might be back on the Reaper band wagon... EXCITED! But PISSED that I sold my PC laptop and custom studio PC for a Macbook and Logic, only to go to Pro Tools which is PC compatible, and now back to fucking Reaper which I was using in the first place :lol: Life is a bitch.

EDIT:

!!!!!!!!! Make sure you have auto crossfade on item split DISABLED, and your fade times set to 0ms. You don't want any fades when you are cutting and stretching, everything will sound even worse than time stretching already does. Also, open Project Settings and under the Audio tab, use elastique 2.1 Pro or Soloist for your pitch shifting algo depending on whether it is monophonic (use soloist) or polyphonic (use pro).

elastique audio on drums = bad

just Slip that shit joey style make sure that alt + click = cut and alt + crt = slip

I prefer overlaping items with an auto xfade of 5-10ms instead of stretching them. No audible artifacts and a 15 second process if the drums are well played (although I lose a few minutes playing back the song through my phones to check for any mistake produced by this process)

elastique audio on drums = bad

just Slip that shit joey style make sure that alt + click = cut and alt + crt = slip

I prefer overlaping items with an auto xfade of 5-10ms instead of stretching them. No audible artifacts and a 15 second process if the drums are well played (although I lose a few minutes playing back the song through my phones to check for any mistake produced by this process)

Watch the video and listen to what I say maybe? Elastic Audio is used for fixing vocals, bass and DI guitars AKA shit where cut/crossfade doesn't work.

I have a video for editing drums, this one was for editing vocals and other things you would use EA for in Pro Tools.

Some of you people are frustrating...

Watch the video and listen to what I say maybe? Elastic Audio is used for fixing vocals, bass and DI guitars AKA shit where cut/crossfade doesn't work.

I have a video for editing drums, this one was for editing vocals and other things you would use EA for in Pro Tools.

Some of you people are frustrating...

what do you mean YOU people? o_O

I've been subscribing to the slip method for awhile now, which has been sped up substantially thanks to your other video, but there are those occasions where you have to stretch a section just a little bit to make it work. Not ideal of course, but the elastic stuff can have its use in drum editing too.

I've known about stretching like you've shown, but never even thought to apply it to vocal tracks or DI's like that or as simply as you show. The split macro you show makes all of this stuff so much faster and easier. So another big thanks!

I noticed in your other video that you have quite a few custom macros. Are those available somewhere?

So what's the key in Windows for this guys?
It works no problem for me on a Mac, but on Windows...?

EDIT:
If I have a vocal track and split it at certain words, hold ALT and drag at the edge of the split, I can timestretch the item with no problems.
However, if I have "Crossfade (overlap) items on split" set in Preferences->Project->Defaults, I get my overlap, but no way to timestretch.
I think this is because when overlap is disabled, a regular split does a fade out and a fade in, giving me a point in between (grab the line between the fades) where I can timestretch, but I don't get this when overlap is enabled.
Anyone have any suggestions other than enabling/disabling "Crossfade (overlap) items on split" the whole time?
Thanks!

I dont want to derail this topic but muckypup1 your new sig is really dumb. What´s the pride about have the things and not pay for them? Men, soon you can become the most hated person by the ones who really bought software with the money of their hard work. That´s disrespectable.

I dont want to derail this topic but muckypup1 your new sig is really dumb. What´s the pride about have the things and not pay for them? Men, soon you can become the most hated person by the ones who really bought software with the money of their hard work. That´s disrespectable.

I never assumed Mr. Cracky referenced pirated software...maybe it does, maybe it doesn't?!

So what's the key in Windows for this guys?
It works no problem for me on a Mac, but on Windows...?

EDIT:
If I have a vocal track and split it at certain words, hold ALT and drag at the edge of the split, I can timestretch the item with no problems.
However, if I have "Crossfade (overlap) items on split" set in Preferences->Project->Defaults, I get my overlap, but no way to timestretch.
I think this is because when overlap is disabled, a regular split does a fade out and a fade in, giving me a point in between (grab the line between the fades) where I can timestretch, but I don't get this when overlap is enabled.
Anyone have any suggestions other than enabling/disabling "Crossfade (overlap) items on split" the whole time?
Thanks!

I posted my problem over at the Reaper forum and once again Adam came to the rescue. I hope you don't mind Adam, but I'm just including it here for others.

I just keep "crossfade on item split" disabled all the time, and have my default fade times set to 0. This way everything behaves more like Pro Tools. If I want a fade, I will add it myself. You don't want quick fade in/out at your splits when you are timestretching either, it'll sound quite strange.

I have "Toggle Automatic crossfades when moving items" set to my F key, so when I want to create a crossfade, I just hit F, then drag the edge of one item over the other to create the fade, then quickly hit F again to go back to normal behaviour.

The only time I DO want auto splits and fades is when I'm doing a bunch of slip editing, and it's no big deal to open the preferences and change my auto fades to 5ms, turn on auto fade at split and start editing.