Most wrist-slashingly emotive ballads

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
Because of my own stupidity, my stubborn refusal to leave the past where it belongs and my chronic inability to say what I mean when I have the perfect chance to do so (don't ask!), I've been in kind of a ballady mood lately. Hold On To My Heart, Every Time I Look At You (which I've *never* liked before), Diamonds and Rust (the 98 Live Meltdown version) and large chunks of the Dark Saga album have been on saturation play of late. Any suggestions for more tunes to while away the hours of self-pitying insomnia would be welcome...

Oh, and please try to keep Poison to a minimum. Every Rose Has Its Thorn is just too much to cope with at the moment :).

W

DORO!!

I can't think of any songs at the moment but i was listening to her live CD (from 1993) last night and half of it is sensational metal!(mainly from her days with Warlock i think) but the rest is all ballads...one or two balllads is probably okay but not half the CD!! :eek:

Skid Row - I Remember You
Skid Row - Wasted Time
Skid Row - Quicksand Jesus
(Yes I like Skid Row haha)
Demons & Wizards - Fiddler On The Green
Iced Earth - A Question Of Heaven
Kiss - I Still Love You (how much power and emotion is in that! pauls voice especially)
Def Leppard - Love Bites
Bon Jovi - Always
Bon Jovi - Never Say Goodbye
Bon Jovi - Bed Of Roses
(If I could write sweet lyrics like Jon I'd have no problem gettin chicks haha)
Megadeth - Promises
Alice Cooper - Hell Is Living Without You
Poison - Life Goes On
Guns N Roses - November Rain

And a not so wrist-slitting one, but a totally rockin ballad with one of the best guitar solos EVER.....

BEYOND THE REALMS OF DEATH! :)

Sweet Child O Mine also fits exactly into that category.

Originally posted by The Trooper
Skid Row - I Remember You
Skid Row - Wasted Time
Skid Row - Quicksand Jesus
Guns N Roses - November Rain

Later skid row i take it.....i have the first Skid Row on vinyl ( and very very recently on CD) and there weren't any ballads on the first album.I have some later Skid Row stuff(2nd and 3rd CD's i think but i don't play them much....they don't have the raw 80's hard rock of the self-titled album.....that must have been when they started writing ballads(FUCK i HATE BLLADS.....usually only good for going to the bar especially at live gigs!)

November Rain...........probably the worst song G'n'R ever did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I just realised that "i Remember you" was on the debut album....the only song of the album that i hated.....!!!!

Anyway,talking about Skid Row reminds me of the time when they first toured here in 1989(i think) (a couple of years before the big Eastern Creek concert with Guns'n'Roses).They played at the Hordern in Sydney as a support to some other overseas metal band.Skid Row made such an impact on me that I have no idea who was actually the main band(can someone help me out!) and i was waiting outside the record shop at 9am the Sat morning to buy the album(the gig was on a Friday night and i hadn't heard any of Skid Row's music until the concert!!!)

White Lion - When the children cry
Cinderilla - Don't know what you got till its gone
Love/Hate - Don't F**K with me
Anthrax - NFB
Anthrax - Black Lodge
Anthrax - Bare
Ozzy - Hero
Ozzy - Mamma I coming home
Ugly Kid Joe - Cats in the cradle
UJK - Cloudy Sky
G n R - Patience
G n R - November rain
Warrant - Hevean
Judas Priest - Beyond the relyms of death
Testament - return to serenity
Metallica - Nothing else matters

You guys haven't heard it yet, but I reckon the saddest, most wrist-slashing ballad I've ever heard is Life Is Black from Dungeon's new album! :D

But Alone Again by Dokken is pretty much up there as is I Dream In Infrared by Queensryche.

Come Undone and The Seventh Stranger by Duran Duran are pretty sad too, probably in a different way to most people who post here though! HAHA!

Warrant have some cool ballads... Heaven, Sometimes She Cries, I Saw Red :)

Ralphe: You hate I Remember You???? thats one of the best ballads!!!!!

I agree I'm not a fan of their 3rd album Subhuman Race, but get out Slave To The Grind... only *just* behind the first album in my book.... The Threat, Monkey Business, Slave To The Grind, Get The Fuck Out, Psycho Love, Mudkicker, Livin On A Chain Gang... it RULES!! And the 2 ballads Wasted Time and Quicksand Jesus *ARE* are the 2 greatest heavy metal ballads ever written!!!

Troops already said my picks! *Big pout*

Id also add "Through The Rain" by Cinderella. Brilliant!

Originally posted by Ralphe
DORO!!

Fuck YEAH!! Doro rules.. at least the album I own does. 'Calling The Wild' or something. Excellent.

Check out either, Testament - 'Trail OF Tears' or James Murphy - 'Touching The Earth'

OH MY GOD! I cant believe we all forgot "The Idol" by WASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW how the hell could anyone not like Slave To The Grind??? :D Its one of the greatest albums EVER. On a par with Iced Earth! (You KNOW I dont say that often :) )

..and WASP's Forever Free.

Also check out;
Poison - Be The One
Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home, Without You
Dokken - Alone Again
Motorhead - One More Fucking Time
Dio - All The Fools Sailed Away, As Long As It's Not About Love

Not metal, but Oz rock what about-
Screaming Jets- Freind of Mine
Screaming Jets- Dying to see you
Screaming Jets- October Grey

Not a huge screaming jets fan but no one else thought of them :D

Bloody posted then thought what about Slade's version of Darling be home soon???..or no-one here like/know of slade...i only like the alive album :D